mdsifter
Newly Registered

Determine True Leaves from Cotyledon? When to Transplant?

Hey all! I'm new to these forums, and new to gardening in general.. Some background: I created a 8x8 organic raised bed a few weeks ago in my backyard and I started to germinate some seeds indoor.. This is my first time so I'm not sure when to transplant my seedlings, but specifically how to know if the leaves are true leaves or cotyledon.. Below is a picture of some of my seeds.. Sorry for the bad quality, I can get a better one tomorrow if needed.. I started these a little less then a week ago so they are relatively new.. I'm located in Southern California, so weather is usually pretty nice here.. One last thing is my bed has SO many flies.. Should I worry about this?

Any pointers or help is appreciated.. I would like to keep this all organic if possible.

https://imgur.com/4mA8NFs (Left is broccoli and right is Tomato) I also have some cayenne, carrots, celery, bell, jalapeno in the other squares (most of them haven't shown much other then carrot which isn't looking to strong =/)

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

everything in the picture is seed leaves/cotyledons. they look like they could use more light, they're getting pretty leggy.

also, carrots are usually direct seeded, their taproots make them not transplant well. if they're that leggy it might be an issue.

mdsifter
Newly Registered

Okay, thank you for the response! :)

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”