Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Organic Weed & Grass Killer

$4 Weed & Grass Killer better than Round Up. 1 bag 40 lbs of salt from Home Depot $3.98. I put an equal amount of salt in each of the SIX 5 gallon buckets then filled the buckets with water. Put the buckets in full sun so they get warm, it takes 2 days for the salt pellets to dissolve into the water. Pour the salt water on grass and weeds that you don't want. Look at the photo, I poured salt water on this Bermuda grass and 24 hours later it is brown and almost dead. It won't be long roots will be dead too. I have done this before and it works best during the hottest part of the summer when plants need water because there is not much rain. I give plants a drink of salt water and they are dead. It will soak down deep in the soil and kill the Bermuda grass roots too.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Don't do this anywhere you want to grow anything else any time soon. Salt pretty much kills everything and depending on rainfall, drainage etc, can stay in the soil for a long time.

Technically organic means derived from life, carbon-hydrogen compounds. Salt is sodium chloride and is inorganic and is a poison, even though not a synthetic one. Most organic gardeners would not use it.

imafan26
Mod

Literally salting the earth.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Shown in the first picture. AKA devil grass, couch grass. It is a turf grass species, but coarse bladed and very aggressive spreader, chokes out other grasses. Because of the quick spreading, fills itself in, heat and drought tolerance, many people, especially in warm climates consider it a desirable lawn/ turf grass. People who grew up with KY blue grass lawns, may not appreciate the coarse texture of it. Personally, especially if I lived in AZ, I would keep the Bermuda grass rather than salting my earth.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Plowing and salting a field was the chemical warfare of antiquity. It is designed to make the area totally barren.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”