supernube
Newly Registered

Osteospermum help please

Hello all. I am actually taking the time to try and make our garden look nice for the wife..and me I suppose.
I do like gardening..but I simply know nothing about plants and I end up getting annoyed through lack of knowledge and understanding...so please excuse.
Right...I have just got some Osteospermum and intend..well already have..planted them in a narrow border in front of a very low wall that runs along the front of our garden path that leads to the front door....its always been an untouched..ugly area and I am trying to cover the small foot high wall with some colour.
My question is this..Do they spread on their own...as in take off and keep spreading....we have some other daisies that my wife calls 4 o'clock daisies...that have just spread and spread...and they look great ..and this is what I wanted these Osteosprmums to do ....will they do this ?
I have planted four plants about 18 inches apart..thinking they will take over.

Anyway..thats it for my first ..long winded..question lol.
Any advice will be very much appreciated.
Thank you
Daniel

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Hi supernube

The thing to remember is that plants die, it happens and often it just is a fact of life and not your fault. I also get frustrated sometimes but I do so love it when I do well :)

Osteospermum get biggish and sometimes spread but it depends on your hybrid. I would say hybrids tend to be neater plants. They really need hot, dry, sunny and very well drained, well, sand. Also I would plant them closer than 18 inches so that they crowd a bit (say about 10-12 inches) but if you like individual plants with spaces then yours should do well. If you want them 'crowded', consider planting something else between that likes the same conditions.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Where are you located? African Daisies are "hardy" in zones 9 through 11 so I gather you are in one of these zones?

The website www.osteospermum.com indicates that the true hardy types "have a tendency to spread". I don't believe they are as prolific as the shasta daisy however.

From what I can tell in order to keep them alive throughout the cooler months they need to continued to be watered.

I've only grown them as annuals as I'm in zone 6. If I wanted to, I could work on overwintering them in pots inside the garage or other warmer spot but for me it is better to just replant the following spring from seed.

Good luck with yours! :)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Supernube - welcome to the forum. My experience with Osteospermum is that is does not over winter very well. I live in Lafayette, La. They do OK in pots if I protect them from frost. They would not have survived this past winter - unusually cold with multiple ice storms and freezes.

Edit you profile with more information about your region and include pictures. Post in the landscaping forum. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

iflorabella wrote:... non botanical name is cape daisy if I am not wrong.
Or African Daisy more commonly here

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”