mchaywood83
Newly Registered

What's wrong with peppers

Help! I transplanted several Jalapeno and Sweet Banana peppers into my raised beds (made of compost and a layer of organic garden soil with peat moss in it on top). I have not done a soil test, but all of my peppers have not done this. The leaves turn brown on the outer edges and slowly dry up and fall off. I know the plants were root bound and I teased the roots. The soil is moist but not drenched and I have not been watering but once every 4 to 5 days. We did have a soaker of a rain for two days right after I put them in. I also put some epson salt in the hole that I planted them in and around the soil. I have also applied organic plant food (made of blood, bone, and fish meal). It was a 9-6-9 or something like that. Can anyone give any suggestions? I had aphids but I took care of them. I looked at the roots of one of the plants and it did not have nodules like nematodes produce. Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/esmzhvrc7i1ew ... 111940.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ym0d5066dbhub ... 929.jpg?m=

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings mchay, Looked at the pictures, RE: the plant with the most leaves. This plant looks to me like it has a couple things going on. First there seem to be more than on creature eating the leaves, one could be a slug, I won't guess what the chewing insect was.

From the look of the leaf, the color, and the curling, I would, if that was my pepper, fill a spray bottle with a mixture of Epson Salt, 1 tbl spoon in a quart of water, spray the plant when it's not in full sun. I'd do that a couple times a day for a week. The color should get to a darker green and the leaf become a bit more alert.

This has worked for me, the magnesium has done wonders.

The other plant looks like it was nearly drowned and needs to have its feet in drier soil.

Wouldn't mind hearing what my cohorts think.

Richard

Co'hort 1/10th of a Legion

applestar
Mod

What is the white powdery stuff?

imafan26
Mod

From the look of the plant, I think it is fungal. The soil mix is too wet and I suspect the roots are also in trouble. These are conditions right for phythoptora blight. Hopefully it isn't that, if it is the plant needs to be destroyed. I would anyway it looks too far gone to save. If the soil is in a pot, it should be discarded and not reused. The pot should be tossed or sterilized.

valley
Greener Thumb

Hi mchaywood, Hope you'll give us an update on the peppers. We, applestar, were curious about the white powdery stuff around the plant. If the plants are progressing for the better or worse it would be a good if you let us know.

Not being right there we can't feel the soil, touch the leaves or know what or how much of anything you applied. We too would like to know why the condition of the plants are less than healthy. Talk to you when we hear.

Richard

imafan26
Mod

It is easy to over water when you think the plants are sick, most people respond by giving it more water when it is not really what the plant needs. The leaves look a bit yellow as well, that may be from being too wet. The white stuff looks like you put some kind of dust on it.

caters

I thought yellow leaves was caused by underwatering

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, under watering can lead to wilting and eventually drying out, but wouldn't lead to yellowing.

Over watering leads to yellowing, because it tends to flush nutrients out of the soil and exclude air.

valley
Greener Thumb

Mchay, What was the outcome with your pepper plants? Please take time to tell us how this has turned out. Thanks

Richard

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”