Alsenor
Newly Registered

What veggies grow in shade?

I placed an 8'x2' box on the side of my house, where it only gets a couple of hours of sun around noon.
Do you know any vegetables that will grow there besides dandilyon?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I grow arugula and green beans in a very shady area that gets no direct sunlight.

imafan26
Mod

green onions, parsley, in the summer time I grow lettuce under my trees but I think they would like a little more than 2 hours. You could try cilantro, Asian greens pak choi, and mesclun. You could try some of the root vegetables but they probably won't be as large.

To maximize the light you have use reflective surfaces. Paint the background white, put tin foil under the plants to reflect light up (you will have to change it as it gets dirty and dull. If you can provide supplemental lighting it would help a lot.

Alsenor
Newly Registered

hendi_alex wrote:I grow arugula and green beans in a very shady area that gets no direct sunlight.
That's good news, thank you! We tried to grow beans in good sunlit locations, but had not much luck with it here. Arugula - I could probably try Romaine then as well?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yes, any of the salad greens - spinach, swiss chard, kale, etc. Also chives, mint, oregano, parsley.

brandon558
Cool Member

Like mentioned above, the ordinary salad greens, ect. I have also had good luck with the green beans in shade. My experience,they do better with some shade rather then in direct sunlight.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In general leafy vegetables do better in shade than flowering ones. Cucumber is one of the flowering ones and needs pretty much sun.

florabella's list comes from here: https://frugalliving.about.com/od/growyo ... -Shade.htm

and is a list of veggies that can handle only having 4-6 hours of sun daily. That doesn't mean they can handle only two hours as the OP was asking about.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”