PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

How to kill a lot of grass?

Hi,

Ok I have this corner of my backyard that has a huge patch of weedy grass. I try to rip this stuff out all the time but it is overwhelming. The good thing is, it is away from most of my plants but there is some garden plants closeby. I figure the grass near the garden plants I can rip out but the other stuff I wanna kill somehow. Can I spray some vinegar on it? Or what other organic method would you suggest?

Thanks

applestar
Mod

Mow or cut close to soil level, spread the cut grass, any amendments, water well, then cardboard, water, and mulch. If running type, keep at the ones that try to escape the "no grow zone"

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I don't think that will work well. A lot of the grass is growing in between cracks of concrete and through objects that can't be moved. The grass is hard to remove with the roots too if you try to yank it out. It usually breaks off and the leftover roots sprout back again. And there is tons of it everywhere. It is a really neglected area. That is why I am hoping I can kill the majority of it by spraying something. But only something that is safe and non-poisonous. The grass around plants I can get too and remove. The only reason I want to kill of this patch that is hard to remove is that they produce seeds and then I got grass popping up everywhere. Then I spend a lot of time and energy ripping out all that grass only to be losing the battle. So I have to put a dent at the source.

applestar
Mod

Good! More complete the information, the better to analyze the situation and brainstorm a fitting solution :wink:
I'll think about it, but other members may have suggestions, too. :D

Susan W
Greener Thumb

In the brick area could try the boiling water route. Bigger question is once grass gone, what is going in the space?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Nothing will go there afterwards, nothing can fit really. My cat likes to eat the grass sometimes but there is plenty of grass elsewhere. I'll try the boiling water.

imafan26
Mod

Boiling water and weed block or heavy roofing paper everywhere to block out the light.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”