yahusakah
Newly Registered

Bendy garlic and lentils

Hey!
I'm always having trouble with my garlic and lentils. I had been growing some garlic since October or so but they died when I got really sick in January. Prior to that, though, both the garlic and lentils were growing fine, and would be straight, but it seems like no matter how far in the container I'm putting them into(I'm apt gardening, btw) they just end up all goin curvy on me after a while and will no longer stand up.
Do they need support or is there something else I'm missing?

My husband read that sometimes you can't store certain fruits and vegetables together cos they will produce gasses that will cause the other to go bad. Is that the case here? Can I not have lentils, garlic, carrot tops(I'm regrowing for the seeds), and ginger altogether?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I'm not totally clear...are you describing garlic and lentils, growing together in a container...indoors, perhaps? in low light indoor conditions lots of things tend to get leggy and not be able to support themselves, even in a windowsill that gets some light.

yahusakah
Newly Registered

no sorry about that, I was growing them in separate containers. I had them indoors at night, but I was leaving them outside during the day. I don't remember my mom ever having trouble like this with anything she grew when she would bring them in during the winter nights before. we were out in cali then, though.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't think the issue is about growing them together ESPECIALLY not if they are in separate containers.

It is likely when and how you are growing things. Your earlier post said your are in Nev. It would be good if you would change your profile so that shows under your screen name like mine does, so we don't have to keep looking back to find it.

Garlic is a cool weather crop, that is usually planted in the fall. In my climate it goes dormant in the winter. I don't know if you are in a cold winter area? Anyway, I would not be bringing it in at night. It is very cold hardy and benefits from the cold dormancy (mine stayed in the ground all winter through lots of snow and freezing). In the late winter / early spring it starts growing again and by summer it is ready to harvest. When it is ready, the leaves do get yellow and bend over.

I have never grown lentils, but they are also a cool weather crop. They are not frost tolerant like garlic, but they don't like hot weather.

Sometimes plants getting "bendy" can be a sign of over watering, staying too wet.

We can give you better help if you tell us where in NV you are and what cold hardiness zone:

https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-ne ... ss-map.php

NV spans most of the cold hardiness zones that are found in the whole US from zone 4 in the mountains north of Elko to zone 9b south of Henderson. That is a huge climate range.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”