imafan26
Mod

Re: New Gardener I am

Citrus are native to Australia, Burma, S.E. Asia. and some parts of southern China. These are places that are in a more temperate zone. You can grow some citrus varieties but they must be the ones that are cold hardy. Not all citrus are created equal.

https://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/crops/az1222.pdf

caters

Well that narrows it down out of the hundreds of types of oranges, lemons, and limes.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

OK lets talk garden and gardening. People have been cultivating for, well since forever. What and how cultivated depends much on climate and geography. Duh! On a day to day basis, people garden whether a few flowers, herbs and patio tomatoes or stuff in the ground, large family size plot or larger and have produce to sell. All have a common thread of growing the flowers/herbs/produce.

This can be studied in books and the 'puter. Or just digging in the dirt. Most find a combination of books/net, what others do and own experience works (or not!). If you check through some of the threads and messages on this board, you see a wide range of agendas, time alotments, goals (a few flowers or ton of veggies), not to mention geography.

A gardener, be it a few flower pots to the larger family farm is always learning. This is one of the main challenges that keeps one going. Also mother nature doesn't always get the memo on temps and rainfall.

You can't learn gardening from a book. Books, assist, but getting hands dirty is key. Trial and error. Being grateful when something does well, and know there will be failures. Saying thanks to those who offer suggestions (can follow or not at your discretion!!)

Now a real question, caters. What have you put in for your early garden? (greens, spinach, broccoli, radish etc)
Next, what part of town or outlying area are you? (I'm midtown)

caters

I am in the more farmland part of the city and I have about 5 acres of land for my garden. I also have a lot of sugar maples. The rest of my space is taken up by pasture and what will be things to make maple syrup and maple sugar, pure water, food such as cheese, and flour from the wheat. And of course there is a house and it is right in the center of my property.

A lot I am going to be planting outdoors in march but some I will plant indoors in january or febuary and some I won't plant until april or may. Others I will have 3 or 4 plantings in intervals of 3-4 weeks until june or july. Some I might plant in the fall such as garlic.

Meatburner

As a new gardener, you apparently know what to do. I would suggest planting at least one acre of oranges, and other citrus in your zone and definitely planting everything all at one time. I bet it will work out fantastic for you. Give it a try and let us know how it works out.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”