SpenglerFarms
Newly Registered

Planting Conventional grown plants......

Hey there, I am looking to "edibly" ;andscape our yard, but the price of organic grown blueberry bushes is unbelievable! Can I plant conventionally grown plants, and raise them from there on out organically? Or will we still be submitted to some or all of the toxins that they come with?
SpenglerFarms

applestar
Mod

Well, I understand the concerns. :D

I think that longer-to-harvest plants like blueberry shrubs have chance to purge the pesticides, fungicides, etc. that they were subjected to from their system, and new growth under your care will be mostly based on how you treat them.

I believe using compost and compost tea (AACT) to introduce good microbes and mycorrhizae in the growing medium as well as phytosphere would help speed the process.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Agree with apple. There are degrees of organic, as you are finding out. If you are growing 'certified organic', you know the regulations. If for home use it's on your sliding scale.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Only a grower can satisfy themselves to the degree of organic practice. For me this is a goal to work towards not an ideal of sacred practice.

There will be between 2 and 4 years between planting a blueberry bush and your first harvest. Time enough to allow chemicals to work their way out of my food chain.

That said blueberry will still need help in changing soil PH. It will be up to you to research which acidifier works within your needs. (that being sulfer or mir-acid). The simple application of acidic mulches will not be adequate to your needs, yer gonna have to pick one...

Other cousin plants like? Like amelancher, sparkleberry, huckleberry, that don't need acidification may be worth your review.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”