oggy

Re: My plants seem to dry out quickly.

Who would have thought watering plants was nothing like oil in a car! :lol:
I just hope that this will fix my strawberry plants. I plan on giving them bigger containers next week, but I don't really know how large they require. I am thinking of just giving them the same size as the pepper plants.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Who would have thought watering plants was nothing like oil in a car! :lol:

You mist your car engine with oil? :)
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

oggy

Yeah totally, car loves it!

Cola82
Green Thumb

I was thinking the soil in those cups looking a little dry. Mine always looks soggy, even though I water from the bottom and the shop light is just a few inches above the leaves. Even if it does dry out, the top gets a crusted, compacted look. Not the light brown, sandy look yours has.

Do your cups have holes in the bottom to let excess water run out? I would also put more soil in those cups so they have more room for their roots. I wouldn't cover them again--just to see if they don't improve after a bit.

I called my peppers drama queens last year, which was the first time I'd grown peppers. They would wilt pretty often, look completely dead, and perk right back up when I watered them. I think the problem was ultimately that their roots needed more room, but they ultimately grew into big plants that produced a lot of fruit, so no worse for the wear.

I like your set up, though--I use a lot of tinfoil, too. ;p

oggy

Thanks! I'm not using tinfoil but rather mylar because I wanted to keep my box insulted. Unfortunately it did a very, very good job of this and would reach temperatures of 85 F in a 75 F home(while it was snowing outside!).
If you're using tinfoil to maximize light, I think white paint on a flat surface would provide much more light than tinfoil if the foil is crumpled up(like how mine looks).

I'm in the process of designing a new box that will be much sturdier and provide a lot of room. I don't think there would be enough room in the current box for the plants to grow tall. I don't think that would be a problem for my strawberries.

I'm using a CAD program to design this new one so I have some idea of what I really want.

affgar

Nice work on your plant growing.

Can you put up a pic of your whole setup? Like the light, ventilation, etc ...

As someone has pointed out, White paint is one of the best things for light reflection & cleaning.
And yea, misting in cool conditions will definitely expose your plants to issues. The only advantage of misting certain plants is that you can clean the leaves & that you can't over fertilise your plants.

And, as some one else was eluding too ... make sure there is plenty of drainage in your soil & pots. Obviously much larger soil area leads to a more forgiving soil environment ie PH, fertiliser, water/drying out.

Make sure you don't use harmful chemicals & you flush plants with clean fresh water a little while before harvesting any produce.

Playing mother nature can be a lot harder than outdoor growing. Nice work. :P

Cola82
Green Thumb

CAD, that's pretty hardcore. I use Google SketchUp, but I haven't really made anything based on it. Mostly I've modeled backgrounds for comics I work on. So that's really cool.

oggy

I can't get any pictures of the box because of the giant light bulb.
Maybe when I rip it apart when I've got the new one ready.

I am pretty amazed at how much a difference a good watering made. Holy crap!

February 3rd, 2014
Cola82 wrote:CAD, that's pretty hardcore. I use Google SketchUp, but I haven't really made anything based on it. Mostly I've modeled backgrounds for comics I work on. So that's really cool.
I like having a working canvas so I can see how I want something to turn out. It's not as pleasant to wing it. Just take a look at my current abomination! :lol:

imafan26
Mod

Alternatively, since your leaves look soft, you can bottom water . Put the pots in a shallow tray and let them wick up the water from the bottom. When it is moist at the top. Drain them well before putting them back in their "Hotel".
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”