nakanj

What Species of Lady Bugs Should I Buy?

I want to purchase some ladybugs to kill the aphids and spider mites in my greenhouse. Does anyone know what species of ladybugs I should buy? :-()

imafan26
Mod

I don't buy ladybugs. I attract them. They need nectar plants and a source of water. You cannot spray chemicals. Their favorite plants are fennel, dill, corn (mealybug destroyer), marigolds, alyssum, caraway, coriander (most members of the parsley family when they are in bloom) and calendula. I sometimes spot them on sunflowers too.

Ladybugs will not hang around if there isn't any food to eat or or nectar to drink. They won't stick around if the environment is not conducive to their survival.

If you want to control aphids, then control the ants with ant bait.( I use Terro. You can make your own with boric acid, sugar and water). Predators will not go near a plant that is protected by ants. Blast the aphids off with water or if you must, then use insecticidal soap or horticultural oil.

imafan26
Mod

Spider mites are difficult to control. Horticultural oil works best to smother them, but it is hard to use it in summer as the temperatures rise above 80 degrees.

The best defense is to keep the plants as healthy as possible. Keep them well watered. Wash the leaves off since it knocks the spiders off.

There are many predators including predatory mites and predatory thrips and minute pirate bugs, big eyed bugs and some lady bugs that will control them

The same nectar plants fennel, dill, alyssum, basil (in bloom), most parsley family in bloom, spearmint, lavender, marigold, and cosmos will attract a lot of beneficial insects. I don't plant yarrow as it is too invasive.
https://www.farmerfred.com/plants_that_a ... enefi.html
https://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05507.html

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”