toboboto
Newly Registered

family brand organic soil has wierd stuff. is this normal?

I'm a beginner, inexperienced gardener, using containers.

1. I put some family brand Organic Palm and Cactus All Purpose Indoor and Outdoor Garden Mix, and some family brand Organic Garden Soil into a new, clean, food grade 5gal bucket with lid and 1.5 weeks later it has a what appears to be a white mold spot growing in the soil inside the bucket. It's about a few inches diameter iirc. Is this normal? I scooped it out and threw it away. I re-potted some succulents with this mix. Should I be concerned? How do I store soil to prevent problems?

2. Is there organic certification for soils I need to be looking for? I found painted wood, piece of rubber, piece of glass (or maybe quartz crystal) in the family brand soil so far, in addition to what appears might be plywood, and a piece of what looks like piece of printed paper. Things that aren't on the ingredient list, and things I would NOT consider organic, even though the label clearly says "ORGANIC"
The only soils I bought and have on balcony are family brand organic, one is cactus mix, other is garden soil, so there is no way it came from a different company or brand.
sadly, my culinary herb garden is getting pulled and going back to home depot with the soil I re-potted them in. I can't help but compulsively look for paint on all the wood chips in all my pots every time I water or inspect the plants.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Soil kept moist and sealed will grow mold. Mold spores are in the air and everywhere, so that is not a problem with the soil.

Paint, rubber, glass, paper in your soil is very weird! I have never seen anything like that in years of buying potting mix. OMRI is the group that certifies organic, so if it says OMRI on it, it should be OK. If yours with all the trash in it is OMRI certified, I would complain to OMRI as well as the company.

Some potting mixes do have some wood/bark chips in the mix. They should be pretty small, more like shreds than chunks.

toboboto
Newly Registered

thank you for the response. I'm away from that garden location but I'll check for the organic certification on the bag, since I haven't got around to returning it yet.
I've seen reports of painted wood and plywood being used in this brand's Organic soil before. I should have researched first before buying. Oh well, lesson learned.

Goes to show that going cheap is more costly.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”