robyn514

Maggots?

Alright, I thought composting would be easy but I'm a disaster. I have maggots and I mean tons of maggots in my compost. Is this normal?

pixelphoto

well probably have too much food waste and not enough other kinds of compost like leaves, grass, hay, straw, etcetc manure, you also need to turn it more often if bugs are getting in it. Some bugs is ok alot is not. you will always get a few maggots or ants but if you are turning the pile and covering the food waste it shouldnt be a problem.

robyn514

You are probably right. I have more kitchen waste than yard waste because we have yard service that takes care of that. Thanks...I guess I better balance it out.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I wouldn't be to concerned, you just have the larvae of various kinds of insects feeding on your compost. They are actually doing the composting work for you.

However, in the future try adding more browns in the form of leaves or shredded newspaper (no colour articles) to try and quell your maggot problem.

robyn514

Thanks for the input! I will add more leaves and shredded paper- it's getting a little too moist in there and that will help that problem as well.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Just be sure to use only the black and white articles as colour inks contain dioxins that are very harmful to plants.

Good luck and don't worry to much about the maggots, they are doing good work in there.

(By the sounds of it though, you should add some more browns. (Leaves and newspaper.) Some wood shavings wouldn't hurt at all either. Adds structure to the soil that you are building. )

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”