markc
Newly Registered

Red thread like worms in my rain barrels

we have found these worms in our rain barrels. Web search talks about midge larva. However these seem smaller that the pictures I have seen. Others have talked about aquarium issues and I don't think these are those worms.

We had dumped and cleaned the barrels about 4 months ago and the worms are back already. Our barrels are filled with roof water through gutters and downspouts. Over the roof is a Live Oak. So leaves, twigs and moss may fall on the roof. but, I clean it up periodically.

Anyway, the worms are pretty active but will bunch up in a ball when the water is still. I have attached a couple pics to show what they look like.

My concern is using the water on our veggies. Could these be nematode, or parasitic? could the hurt the plant through the roots, even worse get into the food?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated

the location for this is St. Petersburg, FL

Thanks,
Markc
Attachments
they bunch up in a ball when water stills
they bunch up in a ball when water stills
Worms in 12oz jar 3.JPG (21.42 KiB) Viewed 5436 times
worms in a 12oz jar
worms in a 12oz jar
worms in a 5 gal bucket
worms in a 5 gal bucket

markc
Newly Registered

Here is one last picture that I shows them best.

Thanks again,
MarkC
Attachments
best picture of worms
best picture of worms
Worms in 12oz jar 2.JPG (21.9 KiB) Viewed 5434 times

applestar
Mod

Are these "bloodworms" that they sell for feeding aquarium fish?

vegetablesteve

I can't tell you the name of this but it was used a lot before in competition fishing in rivers and channels. It's mostly forbidden now (in our country it 's forbidden, don't know about other countries) because this cleans the water and holds all the toxins found in the water (I can't imagine you having toxins in your barrels so no worries.). Strange that these survive in your barrel because they are really aerobic and need lots of oxygen to survive. Also, they normally only survive in moving water which isn't happening in your barrel. Anyhow, aquarium fish love these so maybe you can donate them to someone.

greets,

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I doubt there's much risk to soil or veggies. maybe you should try the old goldfish in you water-barrel idea (screen over the exits on the inside first)

markc
Newly Registered

Further research led me to Info that these are Tubifex worms.

Aida

Ugh, how creepy and icky!

Just popped in to say Hello from St.Pete, that's where I live. ;)

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”