Aliceincolo
Newly Registered

Earwigs!!!! Help...

I know that these insects are generally thought to be of no consequence, but my garden is being overrun with these hungry foes. The are ravageing my lettuce and greens, and have begun to tear into my radish and carrot beds. Help!

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi Alice :D

Turn some small terracotta pots upside down and fill with a little straw/dry grass etc. Slide down bamboo canes positioned between your veges so they are slightly off the ground. In the morning they should be full of earwigs for you to squish!

dorothydot

Or - if you don't want to squish those pesky l'il earwigs,

Take some tweezers - the bigger the better - and a jar full of water and dish soap. Drop the critters into the soapy water, cap.

The soap replaces an essential element in their exoskeletons, and presto! they dissolve!

Much easier for the bugs with hard exoskeletons... and pincers!
Dot

Greenhaven

Hi Alice, I am new here, as well, and this is my first post! I, like you, am overrun with earwigs this year. Actually, we moved to a different house in December, so I don't know if this is normal for us or not. I think others have said they are REALLY bad this year.

Thanks for your post, and for the subsequent replies. I look forward to learning a lot on this board!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”