tenplay

Photos showing two garden problems

Here are photos of a swiss chard plant and a tomato plant in my garden. What are the brown areas on both plants? What can I do to fix the problems? Thank you.

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/80yu.jpg/

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/580/xfa4.jpg/

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

tenplay wrote:Here are photos of a swiss chard plant and a tomato plant in my garden. What are the brown areas on both plants? What can I do to fix the problems? Thank you.

Hard to tell with the small photos.. I'm thinking Leaf Miner on the chard.

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, your pictures won't enlarge, even when I went back to image shack.

But I'm thinking two different problems. The tomato looks like one of the common tomato fungal diseases, perhaps septoria. Remove all the affected leaves and then spray everything left, including undersides of leaves, with baking soda solution (tablespoon of baking soda in a gallon of water, with a few drops of liquid soap and a few drops of vegetable oil).

I'm not sure about the chard problem. I doesn't look so much like the distinctive squiggle trails left by most leaf miners. But there is something called a spinach leaf miner that leaves damage more like yours, so maybe Eric is right (he usually is! :) ). Otherwise, I would think maybe sun scorched.

tenplay

Thanks for your responses. Sorry for the small size of the photos. First time using imageshack. I hope these photos are larger and easier to see.

Would it be enough for me to simply cut off and dispose of the brown areas on both the swiss chard and tomato plant? I would rather not use any chemicals if I can help it. Thanks.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Is baking soda "chemicals"? Obviously by the broad definition it is; so are human beings. You cook with baking soda;that's why "baking" is in the name. But if you don't like that, you could try milk diluted with water.

For the leaf miners you can just remove and discard the affected leaves.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”