fat sam
Newly Registered

Best weed killer

Hi folks, I have strimmed a large area of the garden today, all overgrown and lots of different things been growing there. Anyway, strimmed it all flat. Can anyone tell me the best weed killer to use please.

Thanks, Mark.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

My vote is for a chicken tractor with a half-dozen girls (hens) in it.

Move it around what you want cleared till its all bald.

imafan26
Mod

A goat will strip everything including the roots, but you can try the non chemical first as long as you did not have any perennial weeds. Solarize the soil. July and August are the best times of the year because it is the hottest.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in856

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Depends what you want to do. One way if you are going to turn it in to a garden is to till the whole area. Water it and wait a couple weeks for all the weed seeds you exposed to sprout, then till it again. Then plant right away or if you aren't planting, cover the whole area with a good layer of mulch (straw, cardboard, newspaper, etc).

If it is a small area, you can just turn it over with a shovel and or dig weeds out.

Otherwise you can solarize as imafan suggested (which takes a couple months) or you can spray everything with horticultural vinegar which is an organic weed killer.

Or if you are going to do raised beds, you can just lay down several layers of cardboard and/or newspaper right on top of what you have now, without worrying about killing the weeds. Water before laying the cardboard/ mulch down and then water the mulch well. Then put down 4" or more of good topsoil/compost and plant in to it. The mulch and soil smother the weeds under it and then the mulch breaks down in the next months, leaving you with a nice deep weed free planting bed.

greenstubbs

rainbowgardener wrote: or you can spray everything with horticultural vinegar which is an organic weed killer.
Ok, I'll bite. What is this and how is it made or bought? Is it also good for killing grass?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

*dim*
Cool Member

roundup gold ..... costs a bit though but does the trick

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Agent Orange would work too, but we are in the Organic aisle at WalMart.

Eric

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”