DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Basic soil fertility

Soil Fertility in Organic Systems, PNW 646, is available as a free pdf download from the WSU Extension Online Store at https://bit.ly/1aUmtEb

Eric

applestar
Mod

Thanks! DL'd it and will check it out at leisure. :D

webmaster
Site Admin

Breaking Down Organic Fertilizers for On-the-Ground ApplicationGrowing field crops and vegetables organically requires building healthy and productive soils, which can be challenging and expensive. The new Extension booklet Soil Fertility in Organic Systems (PNW646), clarifies some of the most common misunderstandings about organic soil fertility and provides recommendations for optimizing organic production of several common Pacific Northwest crops.

Written by faculty specializing in small farms, vegetable production, and soil science, PNW646 uses a systems approach to explain basic soil fertility principles. The authors include information about specific vegetable crops such as spinach, tomatoes, and broccoli to demonstrate how these principles play out in the field. Lead author Doug Collins hopes PNW646 will help readers navigate the multitude of fertilizer options available and make effective decisions about the type and quantity of organic fertilizer to apply.
The downloadable booklet also touches on "Organic fertilizer myth busting" and "Long-term value and added benefits".

Good stuff!
:)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I just purchased 30 pounds of soil building cover crop seed mix.

Groworganic.com Coupon code summer7 will give you 20% off. Flat rate shipping of $7.99 on 50lbs or less.

Roger or one of the Mods, Please delete if this is not allowed.

Eric

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Yes thank you for posting. To all my friends I advise strongly to eat and grow brocolli spinach avocado and asparagus.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Welcome back, Sage Hermit! :) Haven't seen you around here for a long time.

Can you really grow avocado there in the coniferous forest of Minnesota? :)

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

No, I wish. The rest you can. They have Glutathione! Special detox chemical. Father of Antioxidant.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

FedEx delivered my cover crop seed today. When the rains start, about 6 weeks, I will be ready to broadcast.

Eric

applestar
Mod

I was going to say "it's not too early to sow these?" -- the re-read the beginning of the post and realized you said in 6 weeks -- mid Sept. :D

I haven't thought about winter cover crop and overwintering crop yet and I really should. I usually sow something, so the beds stays "busy" though cleaning up the bed and thoroughly mulching in fall has its advantages in early spring when you want to plant the earliest crops.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”