Royiah

Stink Bugs round 2

Ok so I had a real big problem with skink bugs last year seeing as they destroyed most if not all my tomatos. Was thinking I'd get away without them this year and lonebehold they've come again. :K
Last year I resorted to bug spray (Did kill them... along with all the other bugs I didn't want to kill.) So I'm here in search of a non chemical solution. :?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

They are a tough one and one of my worst pests. I can't say I have solved the problem, but here's some suggestions I found:

Natural enemies of stink bugs include ants, ladybird beetles, and some lacewings, all of which prey on stink-bug egg masses. Plant sunflowers and French marigolds to attract these beneficials. Hand-pick the nymphs and adults into soapy water—wear gloves—and destroy clusters of light green, barrel-shaped eggs found on the undersides of leaves. Insecticidal soap sprays are most effective against younger stink bugs, Nielsen adds. Because BMSBs [brown marmorated stink bugs] are unlikely to ingest a fatal dose of insecticide through feeding, sprays work best when they directly contact the pests. The pests’ mobility—BMSBs quickly repopulate treated areas—and the harm to beneficial insects make spraying even organic pesticides undesirable.
https://www.organicgardening.com/learn-a ... stink-bugs

Companion planting simply means to plant flowers, plants or herbs that are natural deterrents to stink bugs and other pests. Here's a list of common, easy to find plants, herbs and flowers that when planted in and around your garden will act as a natural and organic stink bug repellent:

Marigold - Try planting a border of marigolds around your garden.
Radish - Many garden pests, including stink bugs, don't like the smell of radishes.
Catnip - This will work best if you don't have an outdoor cat.
Mint - Easy to grow, mint is hardy and needs minimal attention to thrive.
Garlic - Many garden pests also hate the smell of garlic.
Tansy - These pretty yellow flower from the Aster family are natural stink bug repellents.
https://organic.lovetoknow.com/Organic_P ... Stink_Bugs

This:

https://www.toxicfreenc.org/organicgarde ... _bugs.html

is a nice article about them, with lots of good suggestions.

Let us know what you do and how it works.

Royiah

@Rainbow- I planted marigolds at the beginning of the season with my tomato's. (Was told it would keep lots of pests away.) Had no idea it was supposed to keep stink bugs away.
Found an article that said SB don't like garlic and mint so took some of my pickled garlic and dried mint into a blender added water and then sprayed that on my plants. *crosses fingers*
I'm hoping it will work. So far I've only seen the adults about 4-5. Last year I had so many I didn't dare go into my garden. (It was a giant swarm!)
Here's hoping it works.
Is it too late to go buy some mint seeds and plant that? I have no idea where I'd get any plants.
Whens the best time to plant garlic? I've always wanted to plant some. So I might as well start now! :D
I'll try the sunflowers too! Just remembered I bought some seeds months ago! Guess I'm gonna get to use them! :D

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I had an issue on them with my new squash plants. I surrounded them with seaweed and no more stink bugs. If you have the option, give it a whirl. Can't hurt.

mattie g
Green Thumb

I have plenty of stink bugs on my peaches, but [knock on wood] I haven't had any issues with my vegetable garden. I've been spraying the stink bugs directly with neem oil, if only to make myself feel better about at least trying to do something to get rid of them!

imafan26
Mod

if you are planting tomatoes then net them. I buy either a sheer curtain set and sew the panels together or you could get tuille in the fabric department by the yard. The fabrics will probably only last for one season, but if you put up the netting before the stink bugs get to the plant you have a good chance to keep them excluded. The netting also becomes necessary because if your tomatoes are any good and they start to color up, you will need netting to keep the birds out.

You just have to remember that physical barriers like netting are designed to exclude the bugs. The netting needs to cover everything and the bottom of the netting needs to be sealed so nothing can crawl under the net. Once the bugs are inside the net they have a field day as the predators cannot get to them either.

https://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r783300211.html

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's an article I just saw about a stink bug trap. It is really meant for stink bugs in the house, but if you have a small garden and electricity to it, I don't see why it wouldn't help outdoors:

https://www.wspa.com/story/25140599/virg ... stink-bugs

The idea is just that you have some kind of dish of soapy water and you shine a light on it through the night. The stinkbugs are attracted to the light and come drown themselves in the soapy water. Worth a try if you start seeing stinkbug marks on your tomatoes.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”