MasonSebastian

Using Used Coffee Grounds

Hi there. I got this used coffee grounds from Starbucks and used it on my Ashitaba, Chili, and Coleus. I noticed some web-like thing with small yellowgreen dots. Should I cover the grounds with soil/medium or should I dig and throw them away?

applestar
Mod

Re: Using Used Coffee Grounds

UCG are nutritious and mold will grow in them if left in a thick layer or clump exposed on top of the soil. They can also dry out and shed/repel water. Most people agree its better to scratch/rake them into the soil or cover with mulch. Don't worry if there are mold already growing.

DON'T THROW IT AWAY :shock: ..... :wink:
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

MasonSebastian

I meant to throw the top grounds lol. Anyway, I will just let the mold grow, perhaps cover the top with coco peat :) thanks!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Stir it into dirt. One finger will do the trick.
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Put them in your worm bin!!

imafan26
Mod

Coffee grounds can go into the compost too.

Make sure the coffee grounds are spread out and not in a heap.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

MasonSebastian

Ok, noticed this just now. Last Saturday, I mixed some of the coco peat with ucg which I dried for a week. I used the mixture to put the transplanted basil and a couple of chilis (they are all more than 6 inches tall). I left them out in the shade with 2 hours of light just to get them used to the new soil, and watered them just once. When I checked out today, the top budding leaves have yellowish color from the stem up to the middle leaf. Could this be too much N or I still need to put them in minimal light for another day?

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”