wesleyc

Companion herbs for garlic?

Hello all! I've been trying to find out what plants will grow well with garlic around. For some reason I really want to grow some garlic in a container, and wanted to grow some herbs in that same container. The container will likely be getting full sun and will be using dirt from the backyard amended with compost (I pretty much explain the idea in the container gardening section https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 21&t=53439)

But what herbs will grow well here in phoenix being around garlic. I haven't planted anything yet, but I intend on starting it all in the fall. Any help would be appreciated!

applestar
Mod

I think the important points to keep in mind here are that garlic will be in the container for months from fall to next summer, and then will need a period of drier soil, then the entire container will basically need to be emptied. This won't work where winters are too harsh and container soil would freeze dry.

Garlic itself will need a relatively deep container -- at minimum 10 or 12 inches I would think ...needs to be covered by a couple inches of soil, the clove itself is about 1", then the roots would go down 6 inches or more, right?

I think shallow rooted ephemerals would be a better companion -- lettuce and other greens for example that would be harvested above ground and the roots can be allowed to die off without digging up. Miner's lettuce, Maybe spinach and arugula.... scallions and onions might actually work.

How big a container were you thinking? If you go to REALLY big containers like 1/2 barrels, then there would be more options for companion plants with deeper roots than garlic. Kohlrabi maybe.... Trying to think of companion that can be grown during the warmer/hotter months....

What could grow in Arizona from early spring until just a couple of weeks before when the garlic will be harvested? Oh! Maybe cilantro and basil?

wesleyc

applestar wrote:How big a container were you thinking? If you go to REALLY big containers like 1/2 barrels, then there would be more options for companion plants with deeper roots than garlic. Kohlrabi maybe.... Trying to think of companion that can be grown during the warmer/hotter months....

What could grow in Arizona from early spring until just a couple of weeks before when the garlic will be harvested? Oh! Maybe cilantro and basil?
The container is about 20" wide and 20" deep. So I think it is a good size.

I was also thinking scallions....

I hate cilantro, so I would never actually use it and I had read that basil doesn't grow well with garlic (I think).

applestar
Mod

Does it have to be herbs? Most herbs I can think of are perennials.

When do the tomatoes go down for the summer? With that size container, you could plant one tomato surrounded by 5 or 6 garlic, I think.... When is your garlic harvest?

I had a crazy idea -- I heard that in milder winter climate you can plant potatoes around Thanksgiving and harvest in early summer. Maybe you could plant potatoes and garlic together and harvest them both at the same time....

Hmm... Maybe calendula or nasturtiums? Oh! Parsley would work, I think.

wesleyc

applestar wrote: I had a crazy idea -- I heard that in milder winter climate you can plant potatoes around Thanksgiving and harvest in early summer. Maybe you could plant potatoes and garlic together and harvest them both at the same time....

Hmm... Maybe calendula or nasturtiums? Oh! Parsley would work, I think.
No parsley! My mom puts parsley in EVERYTHING and I hate it! If she realizes I was growing it she would always have it on hand, lol!

The potatoes might work though... That would be fun, a large container with garlic and potatoes...

imafan26
Mod

Garlic goes well with tomatoes and peppers,cabbage. potatoes, kale, broccoli, and carrots, but will stunt the growth of beans and peas.

I plant garlic at the base of roses to protect the roses.

wesleyc

imafan26 wrote:Garlic goes well with tomatoes and peppers,cabbage. potatoes, kale, broccoli, and carrots, but will stunt the growth of beans and peas.

I plant garlic at the base of roses to protect the roses.
I was also considering a green bell pepper plant right in the center, but from what I've read, it's difficult to grow good tasting bells in AZ. Maybe poblano or some other mexican pepper

imafan26
Mod

Hot peppers handle heat better than bells. I grow banana peppers, they are not hot but they are crispy and a good frying pepper instead of bells. Banana peppers handle more heat, more productive and don't sunburn as easily as bells. Otherwise if you want to grow bells, then grow them under shade cloth or in morning sun only. Mist at midday for a couple of minutes to help cool them down.

I have not found a bell pepper variety that won't stop producing once the temp approaches 90 degrees. If anybody knows of a bell that will continue to set in that kind of heat, let me know.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”