webmaster
Site Admin

Organic Vegetables: Best When they're from Your Garden?

How I came to appreciate organic produce
Fifteen years ago I remember tasting my first organic tomato and was blown away by the taste. Up until then I'd only eaten industrial tomatoes bred for thick skins and travel. I was sold on organic food because of the taste and health implications, as well as feeling I was doing something to discourage needless soil and groundwater chemical contamination.

Disenchantment with commercial organic products
However the last few years I've come to realize that organic food just doesn't taste as good as it used to. At least the variety I'm getting from Whole Foods, especially the massed produced frozen in the bag. Some of the organic vegetables are grown China. Rarely does any of it give me that in your mouth goodness that organic used to deliver. Is it me or has organic produce changed?

Rediscovering the pleasure of organic food
Organic produce has indeed changed. I picked strawberries from a friends local garden a few weeks ago and received that "Oh my Gosh!" feeling again. That backyard strawberry beat the pants off the commercial organic strawberries available at Whole Foods and by a thin margin the non-pesticide (but not organic) strawberries at Berkeley Bowl.

I want to hear from you
  • Has organic produce lost that good taste?
  • How does organic produce from the backyard compare?
  • What kind of organic vegetables, tomatoes, and other fruits are you cultivating?
Last edited by webmaster on Sun May 04, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pixelphoto

I just ate a locally grown tomato and was like WOW now thats what a tomato is supposed to taste like. I hadn't had one so good in so long it was amazing.
The thing I notice most about tomatoes was the store bought tomatoes organic or not have alot of (jelly with seeds) in them. The home grown variety seem more meatier more flesh less (jelly with seeds).
Also much more flavor.

As for asparagus store bought organic or not was stringy and tough.
Locally grown was unbelievable they were crisp yet tender and had much more flavor again. One person complained that the asparagus had too much flavor and it tasted to strong LOL :) I said it tasted good and actually tasted like I remember asparagus tasting many years ago.
Just my two cents worth.

webmaster
Site Admin

Good observations on the tomatoes. Will take a look at the composition of the fruit next time.

This friend with a farm in the backyard has artichokes. I'm going to ask them for a few.

They have so much stuff growing back there they're forced to give away the surplus of what they cannot eat or sell to a local San Francisco Bay Area restaurant. But I understand that they're doing a brisk business selling their produce to a couple local chefs at a prestigious restaurant in the San Francisco Oakland/Berkeley area.

So not only can you feed your family from your backyard with quality organic food that tastes better than the stuff for sale at Whole Foods, etc. but you could also sell your surplus to the better restaurants that are always on the lookout for quality locally grown produce.

That was a good tip to look at the tomato composition in terms of quality. Anybody else have experience with growing their own fruits and veggies and comparing it to the store bought varieties?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Make the question in the title of this announcement into a statement and I would 100% agree with it.

Gardening organically using permaculture techniques and using nature to do most of your work for you gives you fruit and vegetables that not only taste better than commercially grown, industrial food crops but, the environmental impact on each persons local community is much, much less.

Here is an idea for people to think about: instead of exporting all of the so called weeds and fallen leaves that "litter" your yard. Use them as free fertilizer to build healthy soil and grow delicious food in your own yard and if you live in an apartment you can do this on your roof of on your balcony.

The amount of fossil fules used each year to cart all of these "yard wastes" away to land fills or what have you each year is staggering. Not to mention the amount of money spent on salt based: chemical fertilizers that do not replace the nutrients that are taken by plants and only feed the plant directly.

The result is nutrient depleted: clay or sand based soils that cannot support life. Also, with salt based fertilizers; the addition of salts to soil kills local soil flora and fauna that keep pathogens at bay. Therefore, we are breeding disease while using all of these synthetic chemicals to keep our yards looking nice.

Boy, do I sound like a preacher.

Well, here's the solution: In the fall when all the leaves fall off the trees: leave them on the ground, rake them off your lawn and pile them up to use as mulch in the spring. Spread grass clippings directly over your existing beds. No need to put them into a compost pile because spreading them with mulched up leaves over your beds your plants (both edible and inedible will grow better than you have ever seen).

In fact, even you lawn will grow better than you have ever seen because the resultant water insoluble nutrients will be carried from your beds (by winter rains) into your lawn.

Also, you can spread sifted compost directly ontop of your lawns. It's amazing how well they will grow.

Also, for those people with a vegetable garden. At the end of the season when you are pulling the remnant plants (like corn stalks and what have you) out of the soil. You don't need to put everything into the compost pile, you can simply cut everything up right in place.

Corn and tomatoes are vorcious feeders on soil nutrients and if you remove these plants, you remove the nutrients from that particular area. In nature, these plants would decay in the place that they grew, thereby adding the nutrients that they removed from the soil plus the newly fixed carbon to the soil. Using garden clippers to chop plants up will quicken the addition of all of these beneficial nutrients to the soil.

Best of all, everything I have mentioned above a) doesn't cost us a single penny

AND

b) it's not only healthy to be outside getting exercise but, many studies have shown that working in the garden and with nature increases mental health.

In fact, many prisons in Canada have gardens that inmates work in as a part of there rehabilitation therapy. And I have a colleague who has built a Japanese Garden at a local hospital for the healing properties that the garden has for patients who can now strole through the garden. (Imagine who lovely it would be if they could get there hands into the soil as well :wink: )

Jess
Greener Thumb

Preach away Opabinia. The word ORGANIC cannot be used enough in my opinion.

You have said it all so all I can add is I grow ORGANIC Rocket in full sun on parched but fertile soil. The result tastes nothing like the insipid limp leaves from the supermarket. I mix with my home grown ORGANIC Cherry tomatoes, maybe some thinly sliced home grown ORGANIC radishes, loads of ORGANIC Herbs out of my garden, Make a salad dressing using ORGANIC ingredients. The end result would make the top chefs in the World proud. This is then followed by ORGANIC wild Strawberries from my garden (soooo juicy) and cream supplied by the ORGANIC farmer down the road! Anyone hungry yet? :lol:

I have been completely organic for over ten years now. My garden is full of wildlife. My children are healthy..no asthma or allergies. I poison NOTHING!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Take for instance the walnuts grown on the property that my Grandmother has lived on since pre-1930, my aunt and uncle add compostables around the still produciing walnut tree and the walnuts there have so much flavour, they are amazing.

Compare those walnuts with the parched, flavourless things you buy in the supermarket.... no comparison. So, many of my friends and colleagues have told me that they don't like walnuts..... until I give them one from my Aunt and Uncles Tree!

(That tree was planted by a squirrel 30 years from one of the walnuts from the trees planted by the original inhabitants of the property over 100 years ago.)

Now, the soil in my vegetable garden on the same property was just sand with a few organics thrown in for good measure.... that was 5 years ago. Now, that soil is so rich and full of life and the plants that I grow in the garden do so well with little herbivory and no disease because there is such a healthy balance in the soil.

All I had to do was what I have outlined above and it didn't cost me a penny and gave me hours (hundreds of hours over the years) of enjoyment and exercise.

And when my corn in 9 feet tall with a minimum of 5 cobs per stalk, a huge smile grows on my face. Or when I take 60 potatoes from each plant.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Here is another idea for organic gardening: all those chemicals the North Americans put into their lawns to keep them green and looking "nice." Don't get me started on that one.

Well, as a little experiment I did some sheeet mulch on my parents beds and the folowing year, the lawn around the beds was twice as high and twice and green as the rest of the lawn, and the plants were much more exhuberant. That was just one year, imagine was 5 would do.

Oh and home grown organic food doesn't cost as much as the store bought good stuff costs as well. And it is dirt cheap to grow and provides you with exercise which is also good for your health. Win-win!!!!

LikeMarigold

I eat and buy organic because it's closer to what I really want: local, low-carbon-producing, flavorful food the way fruits and veggies USED to be ...although of course I don't remember how they used to be, because I was born in '81, long after ease of transport, color and shapeliness, and resistance to bugs became priorities :D

To get what I want in produce, I grow herbs and tomatoes, and this year I'm adding peppers, lettuces, and eggplants. I'm putting in dwarf fruit trees, raspberry bushes, and strawberry plants. What I don't grow, I buy from a farm share. For me, "local" and "heirloom" are as important as "organic."

A small-scale, local farmer with a conscience is not using pesticides, not choosing hybrids for hardiness, and not making apologies for small, funny-looking produce, and the results are a revelation. Taste local berries, asparagus, or tomatoes just once, and you'll know the difference.

Whether s/he has paid for a USDA organic certification or not, any farmer you talk to for ten minutes will be happy to expound on the virtues of their methods. If you find somebody who shares your values, you'll get the bonus of feeling good about what you're eating.

doccat5
Green Thumb

Keep talking guys, you're preaching to the choir! LOL

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You know Marigold, that is a wonderful point you came across there in your post about the "funny looking" fruit. We had a post about a week ago about some peppers someone was growing that of course didn't look like the ones in the supermarket.

The ones in the supermarket were probably grown hydroponically with only the base nutrients needed and are probably loaded up with herbicides (to keep the cultures clean), pesticides (to keep insects down) and fungicides (to keep the cultures clean again).

There is nothing wrong with a funny shaped fruit, I for one like it when my fruit or veggies have a funny shape because it adds a conversation piece to the mix.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”