sucrosegali
Newly Registered

Growing Wheatgrass to Seed

I want to know what will happen to wheat grass if you don't harvest it and let it keep growing.

If you don't cut it, will it go through a complete lifecycle and seed the soil around it so that even more wheatgrass will grow up around it as well? Is there some way to utilize the wheatgrass you have to produce seeds that will then be planted and produce more wheat grass?

I would like to not have to rely on buying wheat grass seeds every time I want to grow some wheat grass. Right now I have a store bought wheatgrass plant that is kinda tiny. I was hoping if I plant it in a flowering bed, that it would keep growing and seed the soil around it so that more grass will grow up around it. Is there any chance of that?

Thanks for any insight that can be provided!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

What are you growing the "wheatgrass" from? If it's whole wheat "berries," those are wheat seeds. Plant them in good soil and watch what wheat looks like when it grows. I grew some wheat in either 2008 or 2009 (there are a couple of threads around here about my experience) and loved it. Hmm...it's time to do it again; the front plot is being taken over by weeds....

Second question is, where do you live? Think of where wheat is grown on a large scale, and you'll have an idea of the climates it prefers, although it did well for me here: I gave it my absolutely sunniest and dryest spot.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”