estorms

Mulching with spoiled hay

I plan to mulch with spoiled hay. I know I will get weed seeds, but they can't come up if I put a lot on. In the spring we till, wait a week for the weeds to sprout, and till again. The question is, will the hay deplete the soil of nitrogen like grass clippings will? If so, can I buy something to even things out? Sawdust is my other option, but my garden is very close to the house and I am afraid we would track it in.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The hay (or the grass clippings) will not deplete the soil of anything if not tilled in. If it is used as mulch and just sitting on top of the soil, it will be fine.

estorms

I plan to till it in in the fall.

applestar
Mod

Hay is a GREEN -- I.e. nitrogen source. More or less nitrogen depending on what plant matter and which cut as well as how processed in the field and how old /long in storage.

As it "spoils"/decomposes it gets hot enough to burn if left in tightly packed mass like bales and flakes so you have to be careful. Used as mulch, Nitrogen is out gassed and leached as time passes.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

estorms wrote:I plan to till it in in the fall.
It will still be fine.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Instead of tilling the hay into the soil consider using it for compost. Either do free form loose piles or inexpensive bins built from scrap lumber and chicken wire.

Although others may have no problem with tillimg uncomposted material into the garden I am not a member of that assoctiation. I only work well composted material into my garden.

Good luck

estorms

When I say "spoiled hay", I mean hay that has been rained on and then thoroughly dried and baled. I know wet hay will heat. This is dry and has been in a barn. When hay gets rained on, a lot of the nutritious stems fall off leaving the stalks. It isn't very good for cattle so I can get it cheap.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I use spoiled hay for no dig potatoes. Works wonders! I also put bedding from my chickens (pine shaving) on top of it.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

One approach is stop tilling and use a deep mulch system.

Basicaly cover all bare soil with 4 to 6 inches of spoiled hay. Use cardboard in some areas.

Potatoes

Garlic

Makes the garden look dry, but actually it is one big sponge. I probably cut my watering in half.

Eric

applestar
Mod

:D Looking good Eric. You've been busy! :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Apple. It's not the garden of pass years.

Eric

estorms

I like the look of that corn. I would like to plant some corn next year. My tomatoes, peppers, green beans and carrots are doing well. The watermelon, cantelope, cucumbers, and squash are just sitting there, threatening to die. Last year, they were dead by this time, so I guess things are getting better. The raised beds are working well.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”