MsFord209

Container garden or no?

Good morning all. I'm planning on digging up a nice portion of yard to garden. Well first let me say that the way my yard is, my garden is going to b in a few different areas of my yards, if that makes any sense. So there's going to be at least two " beds" in what I'm calling the front. I plan on digging up the ground a couple inches & mixing in compost until the soil is a couple inches higher. Then border it off with the decorative yard bricks. At least a couple feet up. Anyway, I believe I read here that I should treat this as an in ground garden, not container. Is this true?

estorms

Just make sure you water it when it is dry. If it is raised, it will drain well and need watering more.

MsFord209

Got it

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>I plan on digging up the ground a couple inches & mixing in compost until the soil is a couple inches higher.

you are on the right track, but just be aware that over the season the compost decomposes and the soil level will shrink back to just about where it started.

next year, more compost (g)

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I have done this type gardening, mostly the flower beds. I added stuff the 1st year, and need to add more every year to freshen and keep the levels up. One thing to notice is that it is hard to get that grass out the 1st year. For several beds have put down edging to hold the grass and other things at bay. Mine are angular, and use the 4" x 4' plastic edging from the box store. Pound that in to ground level, and I usually have landscape timbers over that.

Hope this helps, and enjoy!

MsFord209

Thanks a lot Susan (& others!) that may b a bit of an issue for me. My grass grows back in literally two days. My next door neighbors & I chip in to have a landscaping co. Come out once a week to do our front yard. We each mow in between. The yards connect & it's mowed as one continuous yard. It looks better that way. Two days later almost right at the property line, my grass is always taller than theirs. That's how we can tell how fast it grows. The poor dears next door are having problems with the lawn. There's huge bare patches & what grass there is is pale green, yellow & brown:( they have some seeds down. I have a nice sized piece of land across the sidewalk that I plan on utilizing but the dandelions may have taken it over. I swear I only had a couple patches the other day. It rained for fours days n a row. Two days after that, the guys came & cut the grass. I caught one of them just as he was heading to my yard with some chemical weed killer! My neighbors like it but I want everything on my property 100% organic & chemical-free. So they cut the grass & chopped down the lions & I said to myself that'll make it harder to just rip out the roots with my bare hands. I kid u not, I had to get the shovel to uproot some. They were the size of mature carrots! Really down n deep. So yesterday morning looked fine I was gonna go snatch them out real quik. Did a few things n the house & went out a few hours later. The WHOLE area is like a yellow blanket! I didn't realize dandelions go to "sleep" at night & close so I can't see the yellow from the window. The seeds spread & flower that quickly?! This doesn't seem possible!!!! Also, can anyone tell me how to post a pic? Thanks

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”