evarector1
Newly Registered

Question about growing garlic for pest control

I am a very amateur container gardener, and I am looking at possibly using garlic as a companion plant/pest repellant. My main question is about growing time, which I have seen estimated to be between 4-8 months to maturity; does that mean that I would have to wait 4-8 months for my plantings to be effective against bugs, or are the plants themselves what repels them? I'm planning on planting marigold and mint and a few other companions, so I'm not totally hosed if if I have to wait, but I'm still very curious about the garlic. TIA!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is the growing plant (and root) that has the repellant action. Once the garlic is mature, you harvest it and then it has no further effect in your garden. While growing it is not any absolute guarantee. But the garlic is a strong smell, it makes it harder for pests to find your crop plants. Personally I think the more diversity of plantings, the better.

imafan26
Mod

Garlic are good companions for cabbages, lettuce, beets, tomatoes and especially roses. However, they should not be planted near beans or peas as garlic will stunt them.

Companion planting is an ancient practice. Farmers learned that certain plants grew well together and others didn't.

The companion workhorses in the garden are nasturtiums and marigolds.

Certain plant families are good together and others are not.

Plants in the parsley family: Dill, fennel, parsley, carrots don't like to be near each other either.

As a rule of thumb
1. Most plant relatives grow together but will be susceptible to the same problems. If problems occur, members of the same family should not be planted in the same location. This is the basis of crop rotation.
2. A diverse garden produces better.
monoculture encourages pests. Problems can cause most or all of the crop to be lost.
A diverse garden weathers bad times better. Some plants won't survive but others will be more tolerant.

3. Plant to attract nature. Plant flowers and nectar plants, Dill, parsley, fennel, blooming herbs attract natural predators like lady bugs, parasitic wasps, bees, and flies. Small fountains and shallow trays or ponds provide water. Toads, geckos, spiders eat a lot of insects. Birds eat insects, but may also go after fruits and seeds.

4. Give nature a chance. Realize that some damage must be tolerated. Natural controls will keep the garden healthier and in the long run will be more economical than spraying, all pests will not be eliminated.
5. If you must intervene, be selective for the pest and avoid spraying when beneficials are likely to be present. Use the least toxic method possible.

6. Garden sanitation is an important intervention for preventing pest and diseases from gaining a foothold.

7 Keep your plants healthy. Grow them in the best location and conditions to suit their needs. Healthy plants make poor targets for pests. Pests prefer to attack weak and sick plants instead.

https://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/c ... nting.html

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”