erins327

Question about soaker hoses

So I have seen that these soaker hoses are quite popular at my local community garden.
However, if you have water sitting in the hose from the previous time you used it, and then you turn it on the dead of summer, won't the water coming out of the hose be boiling hot? I mean the soaker hose is black?

We use mostly rainwater and hand watering, but when it stops raining around here, I would love to switch to this method. I'm just having difficulty seeing how to get around this problem.

Thanks for any suggestions?

imafan26
Mod

There isn't that much water in soaker hoses. The water will be as hot as it is coming out of the tap. The little water in the tubing can be steaming hot at first duing the heat of the day. It is best to water early in the morning or early evening when it is cooler. It is better for the plants and you waste 90% of the water to evaporation by watering during the hottest time of the day. That being said, soaker hoses should not be connected directly to faucets and left connected between watering without an antisiphon valve in place to protect the water supply.

Better than soaker hoses are pressure compensating drip tubing or a drip system. It ultimately uses less water than a soaker and waters more evenly. Depending on water pressure, the soaker puts out more water at the beginning than at the end of the run. It costs more to install but they actually can last longer than soaker hoses.

If water pressure is good and the run is short, then garden soakers are inexpensive and work fine. I turn them upside down into the ground so they water the soil not the air or the plant leaves.

erins327

Thanks for the advice.

Sometimes I feel lazy and think a soaker hose would be easier. But I agree with you marlingardener, I prefer to hand water myself.

Our other obstacle is our garden is set off from the house about 100'. So I would have to connect it to a 'regular' hose, and drain it every time I used bc that hose in the summer would be boiling hot.

As long as it rains every 2-3 weeks, we use rain water as well and its just easier to hand water that. (Eventho it's fantasy thinking it's going to rain every 2 weeks in the summer!)

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

methinks you can ignore the 'boiling hot' idea.

when that 'hot' water trickles into the 'colder' soil, it'll cool off really right quick.

imafan26
Mod

I saw someone do something very interesting. they put rainbarrels on high stands near the garden. they filled the rain barrel with water from the hose. the rain barrel was connected to a soaker line. It was an old hose punctured along its' length to act as a soaker.

The other thing I could suggest is to move your tap closer to the garden. You can extend a line out with copper tubing and make a faucet closer to your garden. My dad helped me do this at my house. the house came with 3 faucets on the side of the house. I did not like water dripping so close to the house foundation, so my dad made me three extra faucets in the back yard along the fence and another two in the front yard. One faucet is connected to my garden timer which has a built in anti siphon device.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I use them in my veggie garden. It is not close to the house so when I need to water I just bring the regular hose out and hook it up. I have a timer and set it to go off in the wee hours. During the summer we have "water days". My days are Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On Friday I water morning and evening during the heat of the summer. I had the round black soaker hoses but they were old and cracking so G got me some new ones. These are flat. Much easier to weave through the plants and they don't need to be staked down. They "puff up" when the water is flowing and get flat once the water is turned off. Little water left in the hose. Probably none since it is perferated and the water drips out.

Since G PROMISED to re-do my boxes over next winter I want to install a drip system. Since my boxes will no longer be adjacent to each other that will work better because the solid tubing can be run between the boxes and the drip system only in the boxes. I like the flexablility of the drip system. You can always plug a hole and make a new one to suit your crop. I will still have to bring the regular hose to the garden but honestly it beats trying to hand water in our heat and humidity.

This season I will hand water my small herb bed but next year I will move the soaker hose to the herb bed and probalby expand it in the process.

Any way - I do use soaker hoses and like the flat ones better.

KeriFord

imafan26 wrote: It was an old hose punctured along its' length to act as a soaker.
THIS might be the answer to my problem.

I have two soakers connected. first hose has a good, steady drip. so good, in fact, that it is flooding the ground while the second hose has barely wet the ground. I'm not using the world flooded lightly either. as in you can hear the water running off.

I accidently bought a new hose when we didn't need one, so swapping the soakers out for a long, old one that's been punctured sounds like the trick!

imafan26
Mod

For old hoses to work make sure the holes are not too big or you will get gushers instead of a slow perculation. Don't make too many holes in the tubing and see how far it wets before you make more. There will come a point where your water pressure cannot support another hole. It is best to start at the far end and work your way up towards the faucet end. Space the holes far apart you can always add more in between. The gusher at the end will get smaller as you move up. You can also control flow by not turning your faucet all the way on. In the end you want the end hole to still be able to ooze out with your faucet still not turned on full. The holes nearer the faucet should be smaller than the ones on the far end. You can use a needlepoint needle, ice pick or small nail to make the holes.

KeriFord

good to know. thanks! I was thinking needle, but a finishing nail might treat my thumbs better on the end, then save the nail for the front.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Love soaker hoses myself. Just watch the pressure on them. When I first started using them I was trying 3 in line that WILL NOT work. :oops: :x Can't remember if 2 inline worked or not though. But Now I take my hose to a splitter and run 2 hoses that way and it works great. Almost flooding my ground in a fairly short amount of time.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I run 2 50' flat soaker hoses. More than that results in low pressure and uneven watering.

imafan26
Mod

How long your hoses can run will depend on the water pressure, the diameter of the hose and if you are running it up hill.

n8young
Cool Member

I run a timer, with a T off of it for two zones. One zone is 1 50' soaker hose, the other zone is 4 50' lengths all connected. I have no issues getting even watering throughout my garden. I will add my garden is flat, and the soaker hoses I have are the permeable black rubbery material, that don't have actual holes, they just weep water out. I mulch over all my veggies and soaker hoses. This is season two of using them, and I wouldn't go back to hand watering if you paid me.

As far as boiling water onto your plants....I water daily, at 6 AM, so the water is far from boiling.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Loops are better than dead end runs. Connect both ends of the soaker.

Soaker hose being a open system drains most of the water.

Eric

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have been using soaker hoses in Arizona. It is 110 to 115 degrees during the day but I never water in the middle of the day. I do as mother nature does and water at sun down or after dark.

As the sun goes down temperature starts to drop when sun is low on the horizon water in the soaker hose has cooled too.

All my soaker hoses self destructed. The plants got tall and shaded the hoses from direct sun so maybe it was the heat or ozone in the air that destroyed the hoses. Who knows. Hoses lasted from April 1 until August 5 months. Hoses cracked, split, broke in half, in several places, now they are $75 of worthless trash.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I do as mother nature does and water at sun down or after dark

Me too. I overhead water. I'm also going against Mother Nature. I water July through September when it doesn't rain here. Well, but not at night

Eric

imafan26
Mod

I have a drip system some parts are emitters, mini sprinklers and soakers. The soakers last a few years but do end up clogging. The newer ones are pressure compensating, but they still can clog and I prefer the older ones because I need the holes to be closer than 1 foot. There is also hydrogro which is a flat soaker, that one is not intended to last more than a season and is fine if you plant in straight rows, but I don't so I need the flexibility of a 1/4 inch soaker. The ones made from recycled tires do not last very long and clog the fastest.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”