Greens

Question about watering

Should I use the sprinkler to water the entire area of my garden or can I just use the hose to water each plant individually near the roots? I think the latter sounds best but I'm new so chances are you all have found better ways. Thanks for reading and cant wait for the replies

imafan26
Mod

Watering is best at the base of the plants. You could do it by hand but it is much easier if you use a soaker or drip system.

Watering is best low and slow. Most people are impatient and don't stay in one spot long enough to water deeply. And then there is the splashing.

Watering is best early in the morning so the leaves have a chance to dry. If you are working or not a "morning person". A system operated by a faucet timer works great.

You still should adjust the watering period by paying attention to the plants and how long it takes for the soil to get saturated and how long it takes to dry out. Adjust for rainy periods and realize as plants grow and start producing fruit their watering needs may change.

Different plants also like different conditions, but most plants can tolerate a little wilt more than they can handle over watering.

Royiah

I water by hand but have heard of and recommend a water drip system if you don't want to do it by hand.

You need to be carful about watering not all plants like to have the same amount of water. For example I've found that my peppers like less water so I usually end up watering every second day. But my tomato's love water so I water them every day along with my cucumbers. My cucumbers when big enough (And they get real big.) I start watering twice a day.
In the end for me its just easier to do it by hand because of this. Plus its more fun! :D
You've also got to remember your area too. I live in the south and it gets really hot here so I need to water more but if you live in a cooler area you may not need to water as much.

Greens

After I setup my sprinklers I just had a feeling sprinkling a little water over the tops of my plants in the mornings wouldnt be good. Plus youre right, I think I would enjoy soaking them individually :D Thanks for helping me confirm.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm another believer in putting the water where it is needed, at the roots. I do it by hand, because I don't have that much I water, mainly the veggies, except in really bad drought. If you have a lot, a drip irrigation/ soaker hose system would be great.

If you live in arid country, a lot of water is lost by evaporation with sprinklers. If you live in humid country like me, watering the leaves promotes the start and spread of fungal diseases.

Greens

rainbowgardener wrote:I'm another believer in putting the water where it is needed, at the roots. I do it by hand, because I don't have that much I water, mainly the veggies, except in really bad drought. If you have a lot, a drip irrigation/ soaker hose system would be great.

If you live in arid country, a lot of water is lost by evaporation with sprinklers. If you live in humid country like me, watering the leaves promotes the start and spread of fungal diseases.
Indiana is so humid in the summer. I unhooked my sprinkler last night and plan to hand water. I wont have too much to water. plus I enjoy be outside anyways to tend to my garden. It makes more sense to water at the root base...at least to me anyway. Thanks all again. Most helpful :D

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”