Greens

New to garden

I'm looking for some relatively "easy to grow" vegetables that can still yield a good product. I have a 10'x10' plot I can use and have already started digging about 2' deep. Lots of clay here where I live but the plot ive chosen just happens to have a lot of pea gravel. I suspect the previous owner had a pool at some point. Anyways, I would think that the pea gravel would help keep the clay a bit lighter after tilling it up a bit and amending. What are 3 vegetables and, if you could, a variety of each that would be simply for a newbie to grow?

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

You do not need to dig 2 feet deep! Rent a rototiller and just go over the area. It will be much faster and your soil will actually drain.

Anyway go with what you like to eat and you will use! Lettuce is easy but pretty soon it will be too warm here and it will just go to seed. I think a better way to go about this would be to tell us what you want to grow and we will help you.

imafan26
Mod

Choose what you like to eat, is relatively expensive to buy and easy for you to grow.

Look up the planting tables for your area

https://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-dates/IN/Gary

My favorites for a beginner would be lettuce, beans, and herbs.

imafan26
Mod

It would be good if you added your location to your profile. It is hard to get advice unless people know where you are coming from.

Greens

I'm wanting tomatoes for sure. Probably cuccumber too. The problem I'm having is that there are so many different varieties that I get overwhelmed. When it comes to tomatoes I'm looking for great taste a "juicyness". The size of the tomatoe doesnt matter to me a whole lot but I would like them to at least be medium sized to large.

The cuccumber all kinda look the same on the seed packets. I saw these ones called space something or other but they were too prickly looking.I got a pack of Garden Sweet hybrids. Ive recently heard hybrids are no good and that I should probably go with heirlooms? Sorry I tend to draw things out a bit but getting started is so much fun!...but a little overwhelming when you just jump right on in :eek:

imafan26
Mod

If you want sweet tomatoes, the cherries are best and the easiest for a new gardener to grow

Sungold is one of the sweetest cherries around. Black cherry is also very popular.
Red cherries are so productive and disease resistant and well worth growing.

Large tomatoes are challenging to grow but if you want great taste and are willing to work for it, Brandywine is an excellent heirloom. German Johnson, and Pruden's purple are also good. The uglier (off color, lobed, ovoid) tomatoes are usually better tasting than anything that is advertised as uniformly red and round.

Celebrity is commercial variety with good disease resistance and is a determinate, so it will put up all of the tomatoes all at once.

I like the burpless cucumbers. They are not bitter and they are crisp. I grow Suyo long. I have grown Spacemaster, it is a bush cucumber so it takes up a 3 ft diameter. The cucumbers are productive, but not keepers and should be eaten the same day they are picked. Diva and tendergreen were also good cucumbers.

Peppers. I like the versatility of California wonder, but also yolo wonder and the chocolate, yellow and orange bells.

Hot peppers are a lot easier for me to grow and they live longer. The favorite here are anaheims and tobasco peppers. Jalapeno's vary too much in heat. :-()

Greens

imafan26 wrote:It would be good if you added your location to your profile. It is hard to get advice unless people know where you are coming from.
oh sorry, I can see my location in my sig. Not sure if anyone else can. I'm in Indiana.

Greens

imafan26 wrote:If you want sweet tomatoes, the cherries are best and the easiest for a new gardener to grow

Sungold is one of the sweetest cherries around. Black cherry is also very popular.
Red cherries are so productive and disease resistant and well worth growing.

Large tomatoes are challenging to grow but if you want great taste and are willing to work for it, Brandywine is an excellent heirloom. German Johnson, and Pruden's purple are also good. The uglier (off color, lobed, ovoid) tomatoes are usually better tasting than anything that is advertised as uniformly red and round.

Celebrity is commercial variety with good disease resistance and is a determinate, so it will put up all of the tomatoes all at once.

I like the burpless cucumbers. They are not bitter and they are crisp. I grow Suyo long. I have grown Spacemaster, it is a bush cucumber so it takes up a 3 ft diameter. The cucumbers are productive, but not keepers and should be eaten the same day they are picked. Diva and tendergreen were also good cucumbers.

Peppers. I like the versatility of California wonder, but also yolo wonder and the chocolate, yellow and orange bells.

Hot peppers are a lot easier for me to grow and they live longer. The favorite here are anaheims and tobasco peppers. Jalapeno's vary too much in heat. :-()
Wow...Thanks a million! Also, I noticed youre in hawaii. pretty cool. Me and the wifey have been looking to go to hawaii for some time now. So cool that you LIVE there. :D Guess I'm going to go after the brandywine. Ive got a lot of time and really tending to the new garden is my job now. I also already have some garden sweet hybrid...burpless.

Greens

How about Green Bells? Wife loves em and I guess I have to grow some. I'm having trouble finding any seed packs though. I think this is a bit strange.

imafan26
Mod

Green bells are immature versions of red and yellow bells. California Wonder is a green bell pepper that turns red as it ripens, Keystone is another one. Yolo and Yellow bells start off green and turn yellow as they ripen.

Check your profile at the top of the forum page and also on the side bar when you get to your profile page. Make sure location is filled in. Your location does not appear on the posts.

I haven't tried garden sweet, I need to go look it up.

Royiah

Like Imafan said you can easily get green bell from yellow and red bells. I prefer yellow though because they seem to produce more and are more resistant. :wink: I plant all three but have more yellow then red and green. 8)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes and peppers are amongst the most popular things to grow partly because one plant will keep producing and producing all season. Another really productive thing to grow like that is swiss chard. Most of the other greens (spinach, lettuce, etc) give up the ghost as soon as it gets hot. Swiss chard just keeps going all season, from before the last frost in spring, to after the first frost in fall. One row will give you all the swiss chard you could want all season. And it is super easy and not prone to pests or diseases.

imafan26
Mod

It is true you get more production from plants that give you more than one crop and last a while.

Kale is another good vegetable to grow. It is extremely nutritious as well. It does take some getting used to though.

Pole beans are more productive than bush, but if you are canning, bush beans produce all at once and there are so many kinds. Legumes are good for the soil too.

Herbs are good to plant in containers near the kitchen. They are expensive to buy and taste so much better fresh.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”