SmokeyGnome

my second garden, need some help.

after a successful first garden last year I decided to go bigger. this year I built a raised bed that is 10x3x1 1/2. I'm getting ready to place it next week and I'm not sure what to fill it with. I am in near chicago south suburbs.

Is dirt ok or should it be filled with potting soil? the bottom of the bed is open, will that make a difference? anything special I should know?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is good for the bottom to be open so plants can root down in to the soil. If your native soil is heavy/ clay-ey, punch some drainage holes down in to it with a garden fork before you fill the bed. The bed doesn't need to be all potting soil, but some potting soil to lighten the mix is helpful mixed with enriched garden top soil. Or make a mix of peat moss/coconut coir, compost/well aged composted manure/mushroom compost, and perlite or coarse sand and fill the bed with that.

imafan26
Mod

SmokeyGnome

thanks a lot for the info rainbow.

iv never heard of sheet mulching. ill have to try that, but for right now I think the basics are what I need to stick to. :mrgreen:

I did the math and it looks like if I want to fill this thing I'm going to need 1.3 cubic yards or 36.25 cubic feet. if I buy bagged stuff I'm going to go broke. I don't know of any places near by that have dirt and compost for cheap, nor do I have a truck to haul it.

I have lots to think about!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Look around. There should be people who will deliver you a cubic yard of topsoil very cheap. Then you can fill the rest with potting soil or compost or other expensive bagged ingredients. Mix well and you are good to go. That's how I filled mine.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Just some suggestions - a mix of 1/3 compost, 1/3 peat, 1/3 vermiculite

If that is not do able then shop for soil. Check prices on bulk soil then price cull packages of broken bags at your big box store. Never give them what they ask - negotiate. If you have a trailer you can save on bulk soil. There is a premium for less than a 7 yard truck load. That makes the broken bag idea a lot more attractive. Toss in some manure. Look for horse farms that have cured manure or check on line for local rabbit breeders. You can bring 5 gallon buckets and a shovel and get lots of lovely, fresh, usable manure. FREE - my favorite price.

When building raised beds you can always lay down a thick layer of newspaper or cardboard. If you use landscape cloth you will hate yourself later. Put a sign on your butt that says "Kick Me"

Good luck

imafan26
Mod

Look into sheet mulching when you have time. It is also called lasagna gardening.

You can collect kitchen waste, and greens

newspapers and cardboard act as browns and a weed barrier. Other browns are dried leaves, paper cores from

Call tree trimmers, they will likely gladly give you a load of chips when they are working the area

You can get free coffee grounds from starbucks by just asking. There are a lot of takers so you may have to stand in line

If your city collects green waste, there is a composting facility. It is cheaper to buy compost by the truckload. Maybe you could rent or borrow a truck.

Other sources for organic materials are zoos, and stables.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Chicago area has great soil. In Dekalb county (suburb) has some of the best soil in the world. A lot of my relatives own/owned farms out there :D

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”