sepeters

Re: How much sulfur is too much sulfur to lower PH?

Haven't checked in on this thread for a while. Thanks to all again for the invaluable advice. After the initial sulfur, lots of acidic compost materials were added and *presto* things are looking good and well on their way and he should be able to get a dang good harvest out of the season. :) I think you guys were right on about the sulfur killing the beneficials and nutrients vs pH info.

In the long run, I think the sulfur will have helped, but it is most likely what caused the initial set back.

imafan26
Mod

Good that your friend's garden is looking good. The acidic compost probably is what helped. It is probably too soon to tell what the effect of the sulfur will be, that takes about 6 months before any effect will be noticed. The good thing is that more plants like acidic conditions than alkaline.

The soil microbes won't be totally killed off, from what I understand the acidic conditions will be make the soil fungi dominant rather than bacterial dominant. What that means in terms of how well plants grow, I haven't a clue, it seems that the makeup of the soil microbial community is impacted by pH, but the ecosystem as a whole impacts how well plants grow. Those ecosystems are made of many interlocking components and changes in one component may be counterbalanced by some other factor to some extent.

Breakdown in soil systems may not be apparent at first but may show up later. Just as mono culture farming had high yields for almost 30 years before the soil blew away in the dust bowl of the 1930's, when the ecosystem went past its' tipping point.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I live in the Phoenix area too. Buy a pack of PH paper from China on ebay 99 cents free postage. PH paper also known as litmus paper.

Put sulfur on your soil, till it in, water every day for 2 weeks.

You can test the soil yourself.
Get 1 lb of tap water = 1 pint of water.
Get 1 lb of garden soil.
Test the water with the PH paper lets assume you get a reading of 8ph.
Mix the soil with the water then test it with PH paper again lets assume you get 7.5ph this time.
7.5 is the average reading.
If you mix 7ph soil with 8ph water you get an average reading of 7.5 ph.

Math formula = high PH + low PH divide by 2 = average PH

Soil PH = soil/water PH x 2 - water PH

Example. Assume water tests 8 PH and the soil/water mix tests 7 PH. 7x2-8=6ph

gesx
Newly Registered

Hey guys. A wonderful discussion. I enjoyed reading every comment and learned a lot along the way. I realize this is an old discussion but would like to ad something in hopes that it wil benefit someone, or some people. The idea of catching rain water was,for the most part abandoned. From my understanding this was due to the small amount of rain received, and possibly having enough room for a catch system. I just want to point out, for those that don't know, it takes little rainfall to ad up to a lot in volume, when considering the average size home. I know everyone doesn't have an average size home. As such results will vary. A condo is sure to be different also. This is just an example and you can apply the math to come up w/your own results. Take a 1200 sq. ft home. Let's say it's 30'X40', with 1-1/2' overhangs and eves, and a 5' high ridge. That equates to 1483' sq. Now each 1" of rain, that roof will catch and ultimately deliver to you, would be 924gals. That's significant in itself. Multiply that by 8" and you've got quite a bit, even in the desert. As for storage one can only do so much, and different areas have different laws and ordinances. A suggestion, if possible and feasible, there's often room underground. Plastic barrels are capable of withstanding a fairly heavy load when stood up straight and buried w/a foot or so dirt on top of them. I have groups of 4 buried, in various locations, and though I don't recommend doing so, I have driven over them w/a 3/4 ton p/u, as well as a tractor, w/no problems at all. Again, I don't recommend doing so, but tell you that to show you that, if properly backfilled and covered, and placed in a location where it won't be exposed to heavy loads, you can often find a way to catch and save water. Hope this helps some. Good day and happy gardening!!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”