Chipper

Ringer Restore Organic Fertilizer - Safe for Pets?

Hello All
Just wondering if anyone has used Ringer organic fert and if so, your thoughts? I am thinking of switching to an organic fert (new puppy so....) I live in southeastern wisconsin and after a few years of using lawn services, I'd like to go back to doing things myself.

Also I read from a local lawn publication that my first app should be at the end of April or early May but places like Trugreen always started my program much earlier so were they just over fertilizing for the money???? That's another reason I'm thinking about switching to Ringer because I've heard only spring/fall applications are necessary.

Thanks

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I don't know anything about Ringer, but since you have a new puppy and are wanting to go organic, I'd like to let you know that cocoa-bean hulls, often used for mulch, are TOXIC to dogs and cats. This information is not on the bags themselves, but is manifest in vet clinics everywhere in the United States each spring. :(

A check at the ASPCA website's poisonous/toxic plants pages will verify my information. There are other mulches available, so this small safety measure will help your puppy immensely ("The whole world is at my command as long as I can eat it!") and cost you very little.

This is a quick-reference list of items to avoid for dog and cat safety, mostly around the home.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Chipper

Cynthia,
No I have no plans on using shells. I'm just talking about using organics for my lawn care.
However I do know the dangers of certain items and actually my last Lab ate a pine cone after he was 16!!! He ended up having to have surgery to remove it and you'd think after 16 years he'd learn not to eat pine cones!!
He passed away last April and he was amazing but now we have a 9 month old Lab running around and making me feel old.....lol

But thanks for the info! I am checking out that link u sent just to stay informed!!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”