farmerweston

Recommended winter grains cover crops for Zone 5 / 6 ?

Hello,

I know it's a strange time of year to be talking about winter cover crops, but I'm trying to do some planning for this fall to ensure I have a good hardy grain that I can use to make bread next year, and straw from the leftover stalks. I live in Flagstaff, Arizona which is Zone 5 according to the 1990 USDA maps, and Zone 6 according to the 2006 Arbor Day maps. Our *average* low is about 17 F ( -8 C) during the coldest part of winter.

I am wondering specifically which grains are recommended for a winter cover crop in this type of climate, which is also at high elevation. I know winter wheat and winter rye are supposed to be fine in Zone 6, but are there any particularly cold tolerant varieties of these I should look for? Looking to grow grains for bread making, not brewing (for now).

Thanks!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Annual rye worked for me in my Tilton Laconia and Henniker (NH) gardens.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know about varieties, but winter barley, triticale, spelt are supposed to be quite cold tolerant, as well as the rye tom mentioned.

estorms

Red winter wheat is the best for making bread, but I think it gets planted in the fall and then does most of it's growing the next summer. You wouldn't be able to plant vegetables in the same spot if you wanted the grain. You could let it grow in the spring and then turn it under for a green manure, but then you wouldn't get the grain. At least that's how I think it goes.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”