imafan26
Mod

I tend toward moderation too. I sometimes wish to use roundup, especially when I keep cutting down the same weed, but then I think about all the precautions I would have to take to cover things nearby so they won't get over spray and having to wash up afterwards, I keep just cutting the same weed down.

I choose to let natural controls take care of most things.

I still use slug bait, but I have switched from methaldehyde to iron phosphate. Unfortunately, the cons of having a hen around outweigh the pros.

I am adding more organic matter to the soil, compost, and recycling crop residue. Right now, I'm still transitioning so, I actually do not like the drop in yields that I am experiencing. I'm hoping that will get better.

I tried composting, but my yard is too small to give up space for a compost pile and no matter where it is, it will be too close to the house.

I do vermicompost, but I regularly have to evict the roaches from the bin and squash any that make a break back for the garage.

I have also done bag composting. It still attracts way too many ants and roaches, but it is contained and easy to do.

As mentioned before,yes I use fertilizer, but now I do soil tests and I cut my fertilizer a lot.

I used to grow more plants for fun, but now I eat more of what I grow. It gives me a greater appreciation for what food can taste like.

My mom thought something was wrong with my cucumber because it had spines on it. There really is no comparison in texture and taste from just picked cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, cabbages, herbs, and beets than what comes from the store.

At least I know that my veggies are free of pesticides. I do disagree with the person who said veggies don't have taste with synthetic fertilizer. I find taste has more to do with variety, the commercial varieties are bred for keeping and looking pretty, not for taste.

The local corn recommended is UH number 10, it is o.k. for a sweet corn. The kernels are bit tough and the ear is shorter, but it is sweet, but it can't compete with silver queen for me.

I do agree that when over watered taste and texture does suffer. That is why I don't pick papayas after it has been raining hard. They are mealy, but they get better after they dry out. I find that hydroponic lettuce and tomatoes look prettier, and lettuce is crisper, but to me they have no taste.

I also appreciate how much time, mud, and backaches went in to producing it. I just makes me savor it more.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”