greenthumbartist
Newly Registered

Finding Plants this time of year

I'm doing two things. 1-Starting an indoor garden 2- preparing for a art exhibition.

For the exhibition I need plants that have developed fruit by the middle/late march. I know I am almost out of time to get some tomato plants to fully develop fruit but I'd like to try.

My question is: Does anyone know of an online site or a nursery in california I could contact to get plants?

If I'm unable to get plants can anyone recommend the best way to get veggies and tomatos to grow extremely fast? I have some seaweed/kelp based fertilizer and Organic guano and worm casting potting soil so far.

Thank you for your help on this foggy and complicated issue. :)

-nathan

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

If you do try tomatoes go for a dwarf and/or early variety and start the seeds ASAP. For the other questions, I can't help you there. But I am sure someone else can help.

applestar
Mod

Are we talking green still unripe fruits or fully ripe fruits?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You need to look for someone who has well grown plants already.

Force feeding a plant (for which you probably would need synthetics ) will make it grow bigger. I don't think it speeds up its schedule for fruiting/ ripening, which is genetically programmed by variety.

I generally figure about 4 months from planting seed to ripe red tomatoes, +/- a few days depending on variety and conditions (they ripen up better in warmer weather).

The guano is high nitrogen, which contributes to growing big leafy plants, but does not help get the plant to fruit. For fruit production you want something more balanced, or higher on the PK end of NPK.

LA47
Green Thumb

I found this
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/nursery/ ... ornia.html
If you call you may find what your looking for.

mywebinfo

I agree with all of the above. I would try the dwarf or pot type plants as well. Good luck and let us know if you achieve your goals.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”