Lucius_Junius
Cool Member

Comfrey Propogation

When I was given some comfrey plants last spring, I posted a query here inquiring how many - if any - segments I should break the plant into to plant it. On researching, I found mention that people had heard of comfrey taking root merely from a clipping in the soil. This is exactly what happened to me, and I'd like to offer it up as a bit of confirmation; when I chopped my comfrey plants down mid-summer and mixed them with compost in the soil where I planted some new crops, I was surprised to see, a little while later, that there was comfrey actually growing amidst the rows. I re-potted these little guys and planted them with my main comfrey patch. It was interesting to see this play out.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

This site, which seems to be promoting comfrey:

https://www.coescomfrey.com/Coes_Comfrey ... _Grow.html

says it will grow any where from super cold to very hot. Best in zones 3 -9, but will tolerate even hotter.

I'm thinking in your climate, it would want some shade, but you could probably grow it, Mg.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Perhaps I can share some experience with growing comfrey.
I did buy some seeds (Horizon Herbs) fall 2011. I got some started then, and into gal pots to winter, in spring were pretty 2-3 leaves. I also started the rest around Jan and they were ready to plant by spring.
Over the course of the season (2012) I now have 5 in various places. There is/was a rationale there somewhere! Two put in early enough to grow and bloom. The bees are all over them, plus blooms are pretty! It took a couple of tries, but I did figure out harvesting the seeds (not really that difficult!).

On the seeds harvested, started some in peat pellets, then bumped up to gal pots. They were doing fine, on a table in dappled shade on back drive, and had a couple of good leaves. Then, bingo, noticed NO leaves. It had been chilly, not cold, and I am putting the blaim on the squirrels eating them and some other plants. Go figure. I brought some pots up by the house and covered with a wire rack. Since then, especially with below 30 temps, am bringing them in a few at a time. They are showing life, growing out green and will be fine for planting come spring. Meanwhile starting more in peat pellets and will keep repeating that.

With the starts will plant some for me, gift a couple and put the rest out to sell at the farmers market. Last year sold several pots.

Now, back to growing and using. They grow fast and have huge leaves. I have found do fine in sun to part shade. Given the leaf structure do need some water, perhaps a good deep water 1/week and do mulch if in a dry area (MG -TX?!) They also can use some extra N. I 'fish' them when doing the other stuff, mainly basil.

I have used the leaves whole placed around plants & pots as a mulch, and as it decomposes just works in. I have also cut up fine green leaves and work in the pots as I freshen them. I am also messing with drying the leaves, just spread out on a tray in the sun. The dry leaves are easy to crumble and work in the dirt in ground or pots. I do cut the leaves off the stems, and stem go in the garbage as they can make more plants.

I have a couple of customers who have bought the plants, and use the leaves as a poultice for minor abrasions.

This season's plan is to add a new area, about 3 x 4 dedicated for comfrey. This is partial shade. It will be planted and worked as a raised bed, though soon the roots will be deep on the way to China. I'll have more leaves to use in my herb pots, and thinking enough to sell (dried partially crumbled leaves in a brown paper bag).

Hope this helps

Lucius_Junius
Cool Member

That's an interesting comfrey story, and I'm completely on-board with planting more.

I was amazed at how quickly they took root and grew; so fast over the summer, in fact, that I felt confident cutting the plants in two and doubling the size of the bed in August. This spring I'll do the same thing. In addition, I noticed that the comfrey at my boss' house had spread all over one side of his property, and he told me to feel free to take it away - he'll be glad to get rid of it. I have some space on my property that's relatively rocky hillside, currently unsuitable to grow anything else, and I think I can put a few comfrey beds in there with a little bit of terracing.

imafan26
Mod

Comfrey is pretty tough. It was in a planted in an herb patch for years with no water, compacted soil and growing wild. The garden was refurbished, tilled and amended. It took about 3 months to complete the renovation.

The garden was replanted but the comfrey and horseradish which were not replanted both came up. If there are roots down deep, they will survive.

I tried potting up some of the comfrey, the roots were about 3/4 inch. and I have them in gallon pots. They survive but not as happy as they are in the ground. I have both regular and Russian comfrey. The leaves look alike but the flowers are very different. They are a good source of calcium for the compost.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Agreed I'm, comfrey needs to be in the ground! Mine are in pots as starts to be planted this season. They are tuff as you mentioned. The ones that got eaten to nothing are showing signs of life when brought in and pampered with 60's temps and no squirrels. They need to be in the ground to do good as that deep root brings up nutrients from the deep.

There are 2 more peat pellet (10) planted, not at same time, and wish the 1st would show something! Impatience is not a good trait for a gardener.

iseark

Just curious. Did you have to stratify the seeds before they would germinate? I got some comfrey a few years ago and now I have LOTS. When I would move it, it would transplant great AND come back where I moved it from in the first place. I was wondering if it was from the root or if seeds fell. I thought I cut the flowers off before they seeded but wasn't sure. I have the purple colored flower kind. What is the other color one? I never realized it was such a good compost addition. I think I will keep it and just take off leaves when it gets too big and use as mulch as someone on here suggested. Thanks for the info!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

is, I have chilled and not chilled seeds, and can't see much difference. I have some now reluctant to sprout, but so many factors. I could have plucked from plant too early, they need more time, just don't know. I did just put a couple of (10) peat pellet trays on a shelf by back door under cover of rain. I can remember to water there, and sometimes things have popped up!
Mine in the ground from last year are showing new leaves, no stalk yet. We've had down in the 20's, and now a few nights about 30.

I do think it is best to have comfrey in a dedicated space. They can regenerate from root and stem pieces as well as seeds.

It is said that leaves best harvested before it blooms for the most 'nutrition' (compost that is!). I like the purple blooms and the bees are really happy. I try to get them before going to seed and not dropping more in the garden!

iseark

Thank you Susan. I'll try chilling half my seeds and half not and see how it works out. Happy Gardening! Denise

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I've found that one of the better ways to keep being able to harvest pre-flower comfrey is to periodically cut the whole plant, down to an inch or so. as long as you leave about a month at the end of the season to regrow and prepare for winter (and about that long between cuttings), the plants will stay happy, so will the compost and/or whatever you're mulching with them. for mulching, though, be careful not to leave the cut comfrey touching living plant materials - as it degrades, it can cause rotting in other things.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for mulching tip, potatoes. It makes sense to not have extra stuff against the plant stems.

Ech

Well first of all I would like to say that comfrey seed is something you want to avoid. It is a VERY invasive plant and can run a tap root up to 10 FEET into the ground. This is why it makes such a good fertilizer, its ability to draw that nut. to the leaves. However if you miss so much as an inch of that tap root, it will come back eventually.

A better solution is Russian blocking 14 comfrey. It is a sterile version bred a very long time ago, however it still does propagate from rhizomes. Remember though, where you plant it is where it will be for the better part of forever.

Also I would like to mention that comfrey contains Allantoin ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allantoin ). This is something I have tested many times on open cuts. And not the a thorn bush pricked me kind, the, huh, I can see my knuckle bone kind. And in my case, this stuff not only stopped infection but healed my wounds incredibly fast.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”