ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Elemental sulfur is the best for reducing pH. DO test your soil first. You need a starting point. I did a comparison study of test kits compared to lab test. For pH - meters produced the most accurate results when the directions were followed. Tablet and paper strip kits were seriously off the mark. Of course your best bet is a lab test through your county extension office. I understand that not all offices are as responsive as mine. So don't beat me up for making the suggestion. Blueberries need a pH of 5 - 5 1/2. Very acidic. I would avoid the vinegar because you have no application ratio. Elemental sulfur applied at the rate of 1 lb per 100 square feet will reduce the pH by one point. Since you are container gardening your application rate will be extremely small. Do not expect instant results it takes time. With the exception of ornamental plants and herbs my experience with container gardening is limited.

Hopefully some of the more experienced container gardeners will be able to help you. pH is an issue for blueberries whether in a container or in the garden.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”