GilkersA7

organic fertilizers

What are the best organic fertilizers and also what one will provide calcium for the plants?

pixelphoto

I like to add eggshells from chickens into my compost pile to create a great organic fertilizer I don't use store bought stuff so I couldnt help you there.

GreenGirl85
Newly Registered

GilkersA7 wrote:What are the best organic fertilizers and also what one will provide calcium for the plants?
I have plants in my apartment and the best organic fertilizer I've used for my plants is the liquid fertilizer that comes out of my worm composter.

I had a plant that was beginning to wilt. I added some water and some of the liquid fertilizer. In a few days it looked more vibrant and full than it ever had before. I've been adding it to my plants ever since.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Gypsum will add calcium to the soil but must be mixed in. Gypsum is a very soft mineral composed of calcium sulfate dihydrate. For potted plants I add a tablespoon of milk to the watering can. I also fill the empty milk container with water and use that to water my plants. The milk adds minerals too.

Newt

Newt
Greener Thumb

I forgot to mention that bone meal supplies calcium.

Newt

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Mulched up leaves (Apple, Maple, Oak, Beech, Cherry, Pear and so on) are loaded with micronutrients and good old Horse, cow and chicken manure are a great accompaniment and aid in the conversion of the leaves to the soil.

Coffee grounds are also great, they are a green like manure. Blood meal is good but, it will cost you money.

Also, Rock Phosphate is a great fertilizer which has a decent NPK ratio but, more importantly it aids in forming soil colloids and actually helps to build your soil and therefore makes a more healthy ecosystem for you plants.

And Kelp meal is another one that is great. Full of micro and macro nutrients and can be considered a green.

So, using all these fertilizers, make sure that you have a lot of leaves such that you have about a 50:50 ratio of greens to browns(leaves).

By the way, Rock Phosphate is amazing stuff! The helpful gardener himself told me about and it works miracles for your plants (indirectly).

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”