Susan W
Greener Thumb

Luffas

Have any of you grown Luffa for sponges? It was suggested that I try them to sell at market, and I may have available space next season. Are they like other squash types and a magnet for problems? (SVB, squash bugs etc). Looking for comments from folks with some experience in these.

Note to mod -if this should be in 'other' feel free to move topic.
Have fun!
Susan

applestar
Mod

I have tried a couple of times and so far have not been able to grow the regular luffa which takes very longtime to mature (as in start to bloom) -- 110-120 days -- probably not a issue for you though. Even started a month ahead inside, they only started to bloom here just as the frost hit. I did find a short maturing luffa -- 90 days -- so I'm going to try that next year, but I'm not sure if this unlobed/ribbed variety is as good for making scrubbies which is what I would want them for. Kitazawa Seeds sells both varieties.

No pests except for the powdery mildew (milk spray preventive) and stink bugs (knock into soapy water). I suspect their flowers, like other gourds', can be night feeding moth magnets and may increase pest moth population in the garden.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I have also tried, twice, with no luck actually getting and gourds. The vines looked healthy, blooms came and went, But I never saw any female blooms and never have gotten a luffa out of it. I'm out of seeds now, so I guess I'll have to order more.

Didn't know about the short maturing variety apple, I'll have to look for those! I don't even know which I had. I got them in a trade a couple years ago.
Jeff

USDA Zone 7a, Sunset Zone 32.

Failure is only a fact when you give up.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Ok fine. Good luck.
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks folks! FWIW, DD, I've been doing the google thing on them. Most of the stuff I have found makes growing them a walk in the park. Sometimes it is nice to get reports from real people, as on this forum for experience.

An interesting thing about luffas is that one variety originates in India, and grown through-out SE Asia, and another from S America. I shouldn't need seeds until Feb, so this is a work in progress!

BTW, keep the comments coming, especially from those in the warmer zones.
Have fun!
Susan

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”