lostriver21
Newly Registered

Fall Green Manure Mix

I decided this year I would try planting a green manure mix, and in description it calls for two different inoculants. Can I mix the two inoculants together then apply to the seeds or is there a different way I need to do it?

SOB
Green Thumb

If you haven't already done so I would mix the two inoculates. I don't think them mixing would harm one another. Plus, the alternative would be to sort the mixed seeds and then inoculate separately and that just sounds like a major pain!

Chris@hisfarm
Newly Registered

You can mix the two together, but You can plant the seeds without inoculant and they will grow fine. The concept behind the using an inoculant is that it enhances the potential of the plant to fix nitrogen into the soil. In other words, without the inoculant they will still fix nitrogen, but not as well as when using the inoculant.

You could plant a small section of seeds without the mixed inoculants, as well as 2 more small sections each with one of the individual inoculants to see what produces better.

I am looking forward to hearing about your choices and results!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have grwon the same plant in 2 diff garden one with one without inocculant. The one with did 100 times better but was in a more established garden as well.

Either way mix them they are just bacteria that help the plant create more nitrogen. The bacteria will stay in the soil for a while as well so keep putting it in all over and soon it will be comon place.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”