DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Seed Saving. Bright Lights chard

Hey all you seed savers, I have a question or maybe several.

Gixxerific quote,
Reminds me of my chard I let go to seed I already have a ton of volunteers, I'm almost scared to remove the single seed plant I have for fear of loosing hundreds of seed to the ground.
My first question is on Bright Lights Swiss chard. If I save seed from a red stemmed chard what colors will I get. Also in the little pod will all seed produce the same color.

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Get back to you next spring! :) This is also my first year of letting my bright lights chard go to seed, so I will see what happens. It was an experiment, that I may not repeat because it took SO loooong to actually produce any seed. Sat in my garden most of the season doing not much but taking up space. I finally gave up on it and chopped some of the stalks off and it started sprouting leaves again! Mostly I just scattered seed around the bed it is in; see what comes up in spring.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

First I am assuming that you over wintered the plants and are getting seed on second year plants. If not don't save it at all, it will bolt very early next year defeating the purpose of growing chard in the first place.
I had plants of different colors apparently come from the same seed head for the first time this year and I have been wondering why, of if I just thought I planted only one seed head in exactly the same place.
I theory the red plants should continue to be red especially if you only let the red ones go to seed. It is my understanding that bright lights is a blend of seed rather than a unique strain of seed.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

It seems that chard will go to seed if its low on water much earlier that it should. I have several that were in ots that got tall but when they dried up too much they went to seed. Are these seeds good even though they are first year seeds?
+++
I have a chard growing in the ground inside of my greenhouse next to the door. I left it grow and cut the top several times to stop it from going to seed. its now over 3 years old and has at least a 100 or more leaves 0f all sizes all over its many branches. Its about 30 inches high!I cut about 20 a week for the rabbit and it keeps producing! The leaves are fron 2 inches long to about 7 inches lond and very tender!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Johnny's Selected Seed
JSS signature multicolored mix.

Lightly savoyed, green or bronze leaves with stems of many colors including gold, pink, orange, purple, red, and white with bright and pastel variations. The flavor is milder than ordinary chard, with each color a bit different. Direct seed or grow from transplant which allows separating out the individual colors. Suitable for production year round, but somewhat less frost hardy than normal for chard. The late New Zealand amateur breeder John Eaton developed Bright Lights, and Johnny's selects and maintains the different color stocks and produces the seeds. AAS winner. Decorticated (rubbed) seeds. Avg. 29,500 seeds/lb. Packet: 200 seeds.
https://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-5877-bright-lights.aspx

After looking at many sites, only Johnny's Selected Seeds called them a mix. :?

Anyway, Here's my collected seed. Some from a red stem and yellow. If they have crossed, will I have green chard????????????
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20-%20Saving%20seed/GardenandseedOct30th2012009.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20-%20Saving%20seed/GardenandseedOct30th2012011.jpg[/img]

Some of the fruit capsules are quite large.
Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Isn't Oxilic acid bad for people with gout!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Bobberman wrote:Isn't Oxilic acid bad for people with gout!
Gout is caused by uric acid. Oxalic in chard causes urinary issues. Boiling is said to help.

Eric

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”