aimeesh

alaska organic fish fertilizer - good?

I was looking for some organic fertilizer and spotted this, can anyone tell me how this is used and if it is a good product?

[img]https://images.lowes.com/product/converted/022671/022671600006xl.jpg[/img]

aimeesh

can anyone tell me how this is used and if it is a good product? thank you
https://community.homedepot.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5305i8734541AE1128FFE/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Lots of people use and swear by fish emulsion and related products. I can't use it (though I haven't tried this deodorized/ wintergreen scented variety) because the standard fish emulsion smells pretty strongly of fish. That means all the cats, raccoons and other critters in the vicinity, dig up anything planted with it (even quite dilute), trying to get to the fish they know is there. Maybe yours is deodorized enough not to create this hazard.

In the meantime, note the 5-1-1. That means it is mainly a nitrogen source. You do NOT want to apply something like this to your flowering tomato plants. It leads to lots of leaf growth at the expense of fruiting. Look for Tomato Tone It is an organic fertilizer that is low in nitrogen and higher in the P-K, that supports fruiting much better.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Yes, I do use this. It was in a dated post, perhaps gone away. I do have lots of herbs (sell at market), and fish on a regular basis. I try for 1/wk for basil, parsley and other fast growing, 1/month for slower growing. These are not flowering (try not to) or fruiting, just green stuff!
A side note I am using this and not the stinky stuff as much is around the house/deck, and don't want to encourage unwelcomed fur-faces.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”