DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Harvesting seed.

Just wanted to show everyone how much seed you get from a few Asian greens.

This row is roughly 3ft wide and 8ft long.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20%20%20Garden%20Vegetables/Tatsoiseedcolledcting002.jpg[/img]

Seed pods with seeds rattling inside
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20%20%20Garden%20Vegetables/Tatsoiseedcolledcting003.jpg[/img]

Stuffed the stems into a garbage can and stomped on them a bit.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20%20%20Garden%20Vegetables/Tatsoiseedcolledcting.jpg[/img]

Then I put on the lid and flipped the whole thing over. While shaking the can I could hear the seeds falling down. I carefully reached in and flipped the can back upright leaving the lid on the concrete.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20%20%20Garden%20Vegetables/Tatsoiseedcolledcting008-1.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20%20%20Garden%20Vegetables/Tatsoiseedcolledcting007-1.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20%20%20Garden%20Vegetables/Tatsoiseedcolledcting006.jpg[/img]

I'll be trying a concrete mixer next, with a brick or two, to extract more of the seed.

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tonio
Green Thumb

Awesome DDF, I didn't know know tatsoi had seed pods like that.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I will be harvesting my Red Choi pac choi probably tomorrow. They have very similar pods.

The Red Choi is a F1 but the Tatsoi is organic, not sure if hybrid or not.

Eric

applestar
Mod

I wonder if you can make mustard (condiment) from those seeds?
What will you do with so many? sprouts? Do you have oilseed press?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:I wonder if you can make mustard (condiment) from those seeds?
What will you do with so many? sprouts? Do you have oilseed press?
All good questions Applestar.

Not sure what I would end up with planting the seed. Sure an edible, but worth while? I suppose I could broadcast them throughout the orchard for duck forage. They ate all the leaves off the bolted plants.

Oilseed press sounds interesting and so does sprouts.

Eric

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

@ Tonio

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/GMOFree.jpg[/img]

Eric :wink:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I wasn't being extremely careful and I still ended up with 3 pints of Tatsoi seed. 1 1/2 Quarts.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20%20%20Garden%20Vegetables/Tatsoiseedcolledcting013.jpg[/img]

Eric

klevelyn
Cool Member

Nice, do you find the seeds that dropped on the ground around the plants coming back next season? If so that will be a big patch soon.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

This is the first year I let the Asian greens go to seed. If they are anything like spinach and lettuce, I believe you are right.

I've noticed, for me anyway, that self sown spinach usually bolts much sooner. This maybe true with Asian greens also.

Most of these seeds will be broadcast throughout the orchard for duck foraging.

Eric

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

The concrete mixer is not the way to go with small pods Would be just as easy to let them dry out thoroughly and whack them with a stick.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20%20%20Garden%20Vegetables/PacChoiseedAugust272012004.jpg[/img]

The small hand sieve is ok, but I'm thinking a hand cranked raffle type basket would be better. Put the basket inside a solid drum so the seed hit the sides and slide to the bottom. May work.

About a quart of seed thus far. Many more seed in the pods. I'll let them dry longer.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20%20%20Garden%20Vegetables/PacChoiseedAugust272012005.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20%20%20Garden%20Vegetables/PacChoiseedAugust272012007.jpg[/img]

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Too late I was going to suggest against using a mixer. Though that is differant the the mortar mixers we use at work. If you were to put a brick or two in them you would get some seed but you would need a whole lot more seed to sell so you could buy a new motor. :oops: :lol:

Reminds me of my chard I let go to seed I already have a ton of volunteers, I'm almost scared to remove the single seed plant I have for fear of loosing hundreds of seed to the ground. :lol:

applestar
Mod

Put a bag over it, close it up, then cut it off :wink:

I love all these ideas. What about putting them through rubber rollers of a laundry wringer (the kind they sell in Lehman's catalog)? Would that help to crush the pods without crushing the seeds?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Put a bag over it, close it up, then cut it off :wink:

I love all these ideas. What about putting them through rubber rollers of a laundry wringer (the kind they sell in Lehman's catalog)? Would that help to crush the pods without crushing the seeds?
Another interesting idea Applestar. I may know someone with a wringer.

I also thought about running them through my shredder. Not a paper shredder :idea: but a chipper shredder.

Eric

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

The search engine on this site is garbage. I did find this old post on Google. :D

Here we have beet seed. I pulled the plants maybe a week and half ago and they been drying in my shop.

3 bunches bungeed together.

I decide to go the with the bag smack and rattle method. The dog food bag is made of ripstop material and is really tough.

Here are the berry pods just from one bundle.

Eric

imafan26
Mod

Threshing in a can worked for me too. I have a lot less, so when the pods are dry enough they will pop with very little pressure. I put the pods on a tarp and stepped on it, then threshed and swept up the pods. Winnowed it to remove the chaff and then had a nice set of seeds, but I only got enough for a zip loc.

Tatsoi, hon tsai tai, and kai choy all will breed true. Remarkable since I plant them in close proximity but get very little crossing. However, I don't usually have them seeding at the same time.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

So tell me about saving, curing and sowing of globe artichoke seed. I don't know the variety, so I cant tell you if they are hybrids or not. Am I wasting my time???

Eric

imafan26
Mod

I have a question. Sometimes I save seed but it gets moldy especially when it goes in a out of the frig a lot. Somebody said they put a desiccant in with the seed. What can I use for a desiccant? I save the silica gel packs, but I use it to keep the cat food and rice fresh. What else can I use?

applestar
Mod

Powdered milk or instant rice. DE.

Do you have the seeds in plastic bags? I have heard it's better in paper coin envelopes if keeping in the fridge.

Eric, are you getting enough thistle down to use as pillow stuffing?

Globe artichoke is one plant that I have yet to try growing. (1) limited to same season variety (2) space limitations (3) don't like plants that fight back -- I tolerate pineapple but "de-claw" all my citruses.... :twisted:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I've not had an issue with moldy seed in the refrigerator. I use a basic ziploc bag.

I do have a vacuum sealer. Maybe I should seal them and refrigerate. Hmmm.

Seed Storage Methods
Seeds should be stored in an airtight container where the natural elements cannot effect them. Many people use their refrigerators, freezers and basements as a storage facility for seeds. Keeping seeds at room temperature will cause the embryo to consume its stored sugars within the seed casing and will either get too weak to germinate or die altogether. Seed packets typically have a “use by” date. Once the seed packet is opened, the seeds should be used that season.

■Freezing the Seeds - Freezing seeds will put the embryo into suspended animation reducing its need to consume the sugars that are encased in the seed. This increases it’s storage life immensely. If the seeds are frozen, they should sit at room temperature for a few days before they are planted. This is the preferred method of seed storage by leading farmers and agriculturalists.
â– Refrigerating the Seeds - Storing seeds in the refrigerator is another method of prolonging seeds lifespans. Some put the seeds in a zip-loc bag than then place it in a brown bag so that light cannot permiate through to the seeds. Another method is to use a smaller zip-loc bag, add the seeds and close them up. Get a larger zip-loc bag and place a moisture absorbing material such as dry milk or dry rice to the main large zip-loc bag and then add the smaller bags containing the seeds. Use large bubble mailer to store the large zip-loc bag into and place it in the upper back of the refrigerator and use rubber bands to keep the bubble mailer sealed.
â– Vacuum Sealing Seeds - Many believe that vacuum sealing the seeds is the best course for long term seed storage. However, some believe this method would harm the seeds due to the absence of the oxygen the seeds need to stay alive. Vacuum sealing does extend the life of the seeds by keeping out the natural elements such as excessive moisture and oxygen. If a person lives in a climate where there is high humidity, then this method would be the preferable one. Storing the seeds in a mylar bag or in a dark container where sunlight and moisture cannot get to it is ideal.
â– Paper Envelope Storage - Storing seeds in paper envelopes and then storing them in waterproof containers with gasketed lids or in mason jars is another preferred storage method. One can add desiccant (a substance that removes moisture from the air) to ensure the seeds are not exposed to moisture. Using aluminum coated plastic bags in lieu of the paper envelope can also be used. The seeds should be stored away from sunlight in a cool, dark area such as a refrigerator or dark room.

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I use double paper envelopes (small envelopes inside large heavy mailing envelope) in the freezer and it has worked well for me.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

A stout bag and a baseball bat went a long way (for me) in separating seed from its chaff.

My trusty soil sifting set helped with sifting.

I was always slow to jar seed. It seemed to me to take about six months to dry seed adequately, before storing them inna jar.

imafan26
Mod

I do store them in zip loc bags. The ones that got moldy had a lot of seed in them and not much space to move around. Maybe, next time I'll put them in more bags. Thanks for the tip on the envelopes and the powdered milk and rice. I'll try some of that. I have some eggplant, squash, and papaya seed drying now. The kabocha seed got moldy while drying so I don't know if they can be saved.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”