sbernard

Help!! OKRA Plants Stressed

Hi All
In the month of june I had sown Okra seeds in 10 litre buckets. the plants have grown only about 11 inch n have stated to form fruits directly(looks like okra we eat).no flowers n after few weeks they fall.somethings going wrong,I feels my plants r stressed so directly going to fruiting stage.can anyone suggest remedy as well as what could be the possible causes of this.I regularly fertilize the plant ,put neem cake,agro around it.please HELP me save my plants as I don't want to distroy them.

Hope I'll receive speedy reply.

applestar
Mod

10 L is only 2.6 gallons. That doesn't sound big enough at all for each okra plant. The variety of okra I'm growing is currently about 5ft tall but another variety I grew before reached 6ft by the end of the season. Members in the hot southern regions reported that the same variety grew to 8-10 ft.

Do you know how tall the variety you are growing is supposed to grow? I think Chinese okras are smaller plants....

sbernard

Applestar,
the pack says OKRA hybrid F1,had purchased it from ebay...think will have to contact the supplier about the variety.

Thanks anyways.

applestar
Mod

Well, I would try uppotting at leat some of them to containers that are 2or 3 times the current size while continuing to research.

In any event, pull one out and see how much the roots have filled the container. It could also be that they are suffering from insufficient drainage -- always a possibly when using containers that were originally watertight.

sbernard

Thanx for the reply.
Well I did checked the roots but they were not deep at all...just about 2-3 inch deep...plus there is no drainage problem in the containers as there r enough holes at the bottom plus on the sidewalls for airation.cant really understand the problem. :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If it only had 2-3 inches of root, that IS the problem. Okra should have developed a very long/ deep taproot early on:

Early Development.--About 3 weeks later (May 20) the plants were 5 inches tall and each possessed 4 leaves with blades 2 to 2.5 inches in length. Okra has a strong taproot which penetrates almost vertically downward. The taproot was about 5 millimeters in diameter and reached a depth of 16 inches. A total of 24 to 35 laterals, the largest 1.5 millimeters thick, ran horizontally from just beneath the soil surface to a depth of 8 inches. The roots originated on four sides of the taproot. A maximum spread of 18 inches was reached at the 5-inch level. A few of the deeper laterals pursued an obliquely downward course. All were furnished with a profuse growth of laterals 0.1 to 3 inches in length. The rate of branching was about 8 laterals per inch (Fig. 59). The roots were white and rather tender.
https://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137ch21.html

That is, when the plant was 5 inches tall, the taproot was 16 inches deep.

Somehow your plant's root development has been stunted, so the plant can't get enough water & nutrients to grow very much, because it doesn't have enough roots.

I think the commonest reason for this is over-watering causing the roots to rot, but there can be other causes, including insects and diseases.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

this is okra I direct seeded on June 10:

[img]https://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr267/DilbertD/2012/DSC_1910s.jpg[/img]

it's about 2m tall and has already produced.

the soil in containers can get too warm, containers are all too often too small for the plant.

the bad news is, might not be much to do about it now. do you have "in ground" space to grow these?

sbernard

Thanks Rainbow nd Dillbert,

Unfortunately I don't have ground available where I live now nor will be ever available as we live in apartments ,so can have either terrace or patios :( ,so there isn't much I can do about it but I'm sad that my plants will not grow further,they r about the same size as in the above pic n have started producing.any idea long does it takes to flower if there is a bud?Ive noticed my plants r streight while in the above pic they have branches what variety is this?

Thanks in advance

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't think it is a variety thing. Here's a generic okra picture I found on line:

[img]https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/newsletters/hortupdate/hortupdate_archives/2002/oct02/Okra.jpg[/img]

If yours has no branching, it's another sign that it was barely surviving.

applestar
Mod

So, you don't think the containers got waterlogged? When you water, do you water thoroughly until the water comes out of the drain holes? How much water does it take for that to happen? Could it be that you are UNDERwatering them? Okra is pretty hardy -- maybe they will still resume growth if whatever the problem is, is corrected.

They need to grow a good root system before top growth will resume. But while okra can grow really tall, they don't have to, to start blooming and fruiting. BTW, mine didn't start branching until they started to bloom. They will also grow side shoots if you pinch the top growth (well, I broke the top off of one accidentally and that's what it did.)

I actually have some that are not very vigorous, but I still pick fruits in ones and twos every few days. I think their (my plants) problem is that they are not in full sun. This is fine for me since I'm the only one that eats okra in the family, and I just cut them in disks and freeze them for when I want to make something, and I still manage to give a few away.

Can you post a photo? I'm curious about what you said -- are you sure it's not flower buds that are falling off? I almost mistook one for a fruit just yesterday. They can't fruit without blooming first and getting pollinated.

applestar
Mod

Fwiw, here are my Alabama reds for another reference. Nothing to show off as you can see :roll:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/02E24D17-421C-4872-8C37-E1A6C1B1F983-22782-00000F6F305425D6.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/E719C247-F4F5-4B70-8787-9368BC93BD9F-22782-00000F6F48019753.jpg[/img]

sbernard

Thanks Applestar,
I think you r right when saying plants could be underwatered,I water only the upper layer these days due to Rainy- humid weather.I don't water it much that it out of the holes.U r right these r pods which r not flowering.
also have observed that the plants r shedding the bottom leaves nd inthe same place I see tiny leaves sprouting.is this ok?
I'm unable to post pics now but will do so shortly.

Thanks

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>flowers to picking

matter of days - like 5-10.

okra is one of those "smaller is better" things - once they start blooming you need to keep a watch and pick at 3-4 inches length.

we've got a rush of buds/blooms right now - won't be long and we'll have more than we can eat so it's a pick / chop / freeze - in the shortest possible time - old limp okra pods are not worth keeping.....

leaves dying off at the bottom is quite normal - they get shaded - if I see a leaf that looks wimpy I just strip it off the plant.

sbernard

I don't know wts wrong with my okra plants,today I threw 4 -5 pods which were there in the plants.they were not just about an inch, became yellow and fell on their own.can anyone tell me what could be the reason, insufficient fertilizer or something else.

waiting for quick a reply.
Thanks in advance.

sbernard

Hey Guys,
Yesterday I uprooted all my okra plants as there wre worms in the stems of all the plants.saw some black spots on the plant stem ,in there were some worms eating it.
Can anyone tell what these could be and what should be done in future to avoid this please?
also Ive noticed few insects (very minute green)eating bitter gourd leaves and pumpkin leaves.they have taken over bitter gourd plant overnite.any sugestions what should be done to distroy these .

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”