applestar
Mod

I don't understand how adding EM1 to compost tea increases its shelf life.... :? If the microbes feed on the yeast, then won't there be waste product buildup? Aren't EM yeast mostly anaerobic while compost tea organisms mostly aerobic? :?:

I took a hiatus with that project, but here's a thread when I started experimenting. At the time, I wanted to see what I could do WITHOUT buying EM1.

https://helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21051

...and I HAVE read a number of forums and blogs in which doing it without EM1 is scoffed as not the same....which it probably isn't, but I wanted to understand the technique and the process.

I didn't even get around to Bokashi composting this year. (Consumed by indoor tomatoes project) :roll:
...but I've been looking around for ways to collect my own set of primary beneficial microbes and there ARE info on how floating around the web.
One involved leaving some cooked rice out in the woods to collect the wild yeast. :o

I saw a video from Japan in which they were spraying activated EM solution on farm animals -- dairy cows, pigs, and chickens -- to keep them healthy and spraying down the cow sheds and pig pens for odor control.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”