Poon3r
Newly Registered

Corn is 4-5 feet tall. But no tassels or ears?

Hello,

I have a very important question about corn. Right now is July and I have planted a couple acres of corn but there hasn't been sight of the tassel or ears on the cornstalk. They are already 4-5 ft tall. This is my first time growing corn. Did I do something wrong? I would really appreciate some guidance from those who may know something. Thank you.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

without more info it's just a guess - but sounds like you need to wait.

the "mature height" depends on the variety - but 5 feet is fairly short.

have you had rain? corn loves heat and rain....

does the corn have good color? corn is a heavy feeder - if it's yellowing the nitrogen could have been low.

striperbware

Wow, 2 acres of corn is a farm not a garden. I assume then that you are selling corn commercially ? In any event, as the previous replier said it is hard to know if you really have a problem or simply need to wait longer for the tassles.

Since you posted this on the Organic forum, maybe you are growing these organically and your compost is lacking some nutrients ? 2 acres seems like a huge area to commit to organic unless you are spreading tons of manure.

For my home garden, I do not generate enough compost to feed everything. Knowing what the previous replier said, that corn needs a lot of nutrients, I give them 2 apps. of triple 10 bag fert. , the first 1 month after germination, then the 2nd 1 month after that. I pour a good stream of it from a cup 2 inches away from the row, and water it in good. I get really good corn every year, full ears and really yummy with no worms, so I will stick with the triple 10 for corn.

Good luck

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like a later corn to me like siver queen that takes 80 to 90 days! Do you know the type and when you planted it!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Be patient. Unless it is planted too thick it will get ears when the time is right. I do know that corn planted too densely will not get ears. Tell us a little more about your planting. What varieties? How are the rows spaced? How close are the corn stalks in the rows?

imafan26
Mod

This post was from so they may not be around anymore

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”