kepkitty

When to use Preventative Natural Sprays?

HI, Everything is looking so good, tomatoes, peppers, etc. But, I was wondering who out there is experienced and uses preventative sprays (pepper/garlic or the other two - thuricide and P. on your veggies? I want to be safe than sorry.

Also we are experiencing some high 90 temps with no rain in WNC, We watered 2 nights ago, around each plant, but should I water again? I don't want to come home to find my peppers scorched or droopy.....
thanks!
KP

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I can't think of a single time when it's helpful to use a preventive natural spray.

I use soap spray when I see aphids and milk solution when I see powdery mildew; neem when I see black spot/rust on my roses. I mist (with water) my jade plants outdoors (very large) if the leaf pads are looking dusty.

But I don't think I've ever used a preventive spray....

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with cynthia, preventative sprays don't make sense, because you don't know what you are spraying for. Treat the problems that come up, when they come up, and only treat where the problem is. So even if you are using Neem for black spot or whatever, that doesn't mean you spray your whole garden with it, just the plant that's having problems.

In this weather plants need a lot of water, but water when they need it. If they are getting wilty (it's ok if they wilt A LITTLE bit, they will perk right back up when watered -- it's pretty hard to avoid a little temporary wilting in these conditions) OR if you dig down near the plant and the soil is dry a few inches down.

Water deeply (dig down after you finish watering and make sure the soil is wet at least 4" down), mulch well to conserve water, and don't water again until it is starting to dry out.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”