GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Polyface Farm

I wondered if anyone had every heard of this place. I read about it in a book and then found this youtube video on it. This is part 1, And I know there are at least 3 parts. I thought it was really interesting and hopeful.

Interested in what everyone else thinks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYWYU5V8JOo

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Joel Salatin rocks !!! :)

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

He's only about 100 miles from me. I'm def gonna drive out there this summer, see if I can learn anything from a walk around the place. Ya never know.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

So close, check it out. I was alerted to them, didn't do a full study, but read some of the stuff. In truth somewhat put off. IMO, FWIW, the guy thinks he invented farming., Huh? He's got some good stuff going, good for all of us. I guess I saw him as talking (speeches, books etc =$) and has his underlings/interns/slavettes working the dirt. Trust me, I have no problem, and applaud a farmer making $, but not mostly on books/talks etc.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I saw the aspect of making all the $ on it. At the same time, if someone wanted to pay me to talk about my gardening methods, I'd happily oblige. And I have considered more than once, making a book about gardening. Why not? A bunch of people do, and I always want to buy every gardening book I see!

I guess what turned me on is how transparent they keep things......supposedly. I truly don't know of another farm where they just let you stroll up and in and walk around wherever you want any time/day of the week.

To me, bottom line is, he's doing something right. To me, he didn't come off so much as arrogant as concerned about the control that is being exerted over our food. It's something I often think about. But then I don't know if I'm being paranoid either. I mean....selling seeds intentionally that don't make viable seeds so you have to buy them again the following year? Seems a bit much. How long before you have to have a farming license to be able to buy seeds at all? Back yard gardens and micro farms illegal, farmer's markets a thing of the past.... It just seems closer to reality than sci-fi to me sometimes. :?

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”