muggs

Bacillus thurengiensis not available in my county?!?

As I've posted before, I'm having issues with cabbage loopers. Bacillus thurengiensis seems to be the most recommnended organic product (and most effective) but I can't find it in the garden centers in my county. One sales rep said the EPA is coming down on the product and it's been pulled from their shelves. That seemed like more blowing smoke than anything, but my google research has turned up some articles on Bt being pulled in areas of California and a few other states.

I live on the northcoast of Ohio just a few miles from Lake Erie. I'm thinking it may have something to do with that watershed and potentially hurting acquatic insects? I called garden centers a few cities over and they have it on their shelves (one place I called was the same franchised garden center as in my county and they carry it).

Anyone have any info on this?
Nature, nurture, heaven and home.
Sum of all and by them driven.

~MJK

tomc
Super Green Thumb

BT should be available on the internet. its close kin spinosad is available at my local feed store.

Tractor Supply, or other big box stores are useless.
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

chemwisz
Newly Registered

Working in Agriculture I know that BT works very well! I'm not sure of any websites that will have this product, maybe ebay. In agriculture we sell BT in 6 pound bags, most likely more than you'll need lol. :D

tomc
Super Green Thumb

A google search turned up multiple offers for BT to buy...
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

rockhound

BT

I see this is an older post, but look for the brand names Dipel Or Thuricide. Check to be sure the product contains BT.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”