organicmimi
Newly Registered

HELP --transplanting an eggplant

I stated an organic garden two months ago, I made the mistake of planting eggplant with zucchinis in the same bed, now the eggplant is over crowded, can I transplant the eggplant is 2 ft tall. any advice is appreciated .

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I would be surprised that the plant could be transplanted, unless you can get almost the entire root ball without disturbing the roots. My inclination would be to clip leaves from the zucchini to ease the overcrowding of the egg plant. The zucchini will do just fine with as many as 50% of the leaves plucked, so removing a few around the egg plant should have virtually no effect on the zucchini. Also, at least here in S.C., zucchini wear out and stop production fairly early in the summer. My egg plants however, continue to grow and produce from spring until frost.

organicmimi
Newly Registered

Thank you so much for the tip, I will do that, my zucchinis are grown from seeds planted 04/25/12 but nothing yet a few flowers male and female now , will see if these new flowers don't fall off again. It has been very hot and humid, but I am having fun, my herbs are beautiful , already using my basil for pesto, rosemary , cilantro, mint for mojitos.....lol....can wait for my tomatoes and peppers.
Thank you again!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”